CoinPeople.com

Info about some old coins...

cowhodan

Hello,

I need some information about 3 coins, Im not an expert in US, Italian or Spanish coins, so I will thank your help.

The first coin is a 1903-S barber dime, what do you think is its condition and apx. value? Any ideas of where to sell it? I'm in Mexico, and dealers here are not interested in this kind of coins. For me it looks like F, but as I said before, Im not into US coins, I can clearly appreciate the letters LI, a bit of B,T,Y and Im not sure about ER.

1903sbarberdime1wn.jpg

1903sbarberdime21bp.jpg

The second is an Italian 1911 5 lire, Im not sure if its original, it has something weird, CV=500.. it would be too good to be true :ninja:...

italia5lire4jj.png

Finally the third coin is a 1880 50 centimos from Spain, what are those C's on the reverse, maybe a counterstamp?

[50centimos9nx.jpg

Thanks!

The 1903-S dime is a semi-key date in the series, and I would grade that one VG based on the photo alone (it might be better in person). You have to be careful on altered dates on this coin, as an 02-S altered to an 03-S turns a $3 coin into a $100 coin. I am not an expert in the series, so I don't know the diagnostics necessary for authentication, but if it's a genuine 03-S in VG it's probably about a $100 to $125 coin, F bumps it up to about $250 to $300. Mintage 613,300. Sorry I can't help on the foreign coins.

Whoops, I forgot to mention, on the Spanish coin with the "CC" I think that is a "Love Token." They were fairly common in the US, mainly on dimes in the 19th century, where a man would pay a jeweler to remove the reverse design and carve their loved one's initials in the back. Some of them could be quite elaborate in engraving. I have a love token made from a 1901 $5 gold piece with the word "Hiawatha" and the date Dec. 8th, '08 carved on the back. It's not nearly as elaborate as many dimes I've seen, but I think it was also engraved near the end of the era of love tokens.

The 1903-S dime is a semi-key date in the series, and I would grade that one VG based on the photo alone (it might be better in person).  You have to be careful on altered dates on this coin, as an 02-S altered to an 03-S turns a $3 coin into a $100 coin.  I am not an expert in the series, so I don't know the diagnostics necessary for authentication, but if it's a genuine 03-S in VG it's probably about a $100 to $125 coin, F bumps it up to about $250 to $300.  Mintage 613,300.  Sorry I can't help on the foreign coins.

jtryka, many thanks for your help, do you know what would the best place to sell it? I cant sell at ebay, just buy because I dont have a credit card.

Daniel

"I cant sell at ebay, just buy because I dont have a credit card."

Ebay doesn't require a CC, Yahoo does.

Im registered at ebay with the account that the internet provider gives me, I can just buy, if I want to sell they ask me to have a credit card or to be ID verified, Im out of the US and this last service is not available for me. Do you know how could I sell?

The Italian coin looks fake. Metal's off.

Aside from the color, the date looks somewhat amiss. This is an image of a genuine 5L. The 'dash' between the dates is noticibly higher. Jury still out on this, though.

gallery_52_28_2892.jpg

Archived