CoinPeople.com

Edward VIII Coins

Swimmingly

Just when I thought I knew the names of the British monarchs -- at least from Victoria onwards -- I encountered this penny from British West Africa dated 1936:

http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/coin...0Penny%20(1936)

... with the Obverse Legend: EDWARDVS VIII REX ET IND:IMP:

... which sends me to Wikipedia, where I learn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII_o..._United_Kingdom

... fascinating story! It makes me wonder, are there any other coins featuring this short-duration monarch?

Happy New Year,. Dan

Dan,

No British coins were officially released with either hid portrait or his name on. British West and East Africa both circulated coins with his name on but these are quite common but there are various different pattern coins produced.

Although the mint did issue a few threepences with the portrait and name to manufacturers of coin operated slot machines and rumour has it that these manufacturers held a few back. They are still extremely rare.

Happy New Year to you too!

Clive.

Dan,

No British coins were officially released with either hid portrait or his name on. British West and East Africa both circulated coins with his name on but these are quite common but there are various different pattern coins produced.

Although the mint did issue a few threepences with the portrait and name to manufacturers of coin operated slot machines and rumour has it that these manufacturers held a few back. They are still extremely rare.

Happy New Year to you too!

Clive.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that the Royal Mint said that a small amount accidently got into circulation & they were listed in Spink about 5 years ago as being worth £3,500 each :ninja: That's the design that was only on the Edward VIII coins (not the one used by both Edward VIII on the patterns and commonly used by George VI)

Because of his abdication there were no coins bearing his portrait issued for circulation in Britain, however it is rumoured that a number of them were supplied to coin equipment manufacturers so that machines could be tested using the new coin.

Because of his abdication there were no coins bearing his portrait issued for circulation in Britain, however it is rumoured that a number of them were supplied to coin equipment manufacturers so that machines could be tested using the new coin.

My thoughts exactly, for manufacturers of coin-operated slot machines.

• 6 months later...

Archived