CoinPeople.com

William the Conqueror Penny

YeOldeCollector

977036.jpg

William I (the Conqueror) Paxs Penny from my own personal collection.

William_Conqueror_Bayeux_Tapestry.jpg

William I, William the Conqueror, William the Bastard was King of England from 1066 until 1087. As many of you will know William invaded England in 1066 claiming victory over Harold Godwinson. Hence 1066 and the Battle of Hastings and the ensuing Norman Conquest of England. William was nicknamed "the Bastard" due to being the illegitimate son of Robert I Duke of Normandy, William succeeded his father as Duke at the age of eight.

England was pretty much up for grabs when Edward the Confessor passed away as he had no children. Three men had their eyes on England, being William, Harold Godwinson and Harald Hadraada of Norway. The Witan, Anglo-Saxon political body, voted that Harold Godwinson was to be King of England. Leading to Harold II of England who ruled from 5th Jan 1066 until 14th Oct. He was to be the last Anglo-Saxon King of England and one of the only English monarchs to have died in battle, the other being Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth.

The Witan with an Anglo-Saxon King:

Witan_hexateuch.jpg

William I changed the minting process and monetary system very little, we see no Norman moneyers until the reign of Henry I. All of the moneyers during William I's reign were typically English and many had worked under the reign of Edward the Confessor too. The fact that the Anglo-Saxon moneyers still held their jobs implied that the wealthy tradesmen and citizen-classes did not suffer greatly compared to the wealthy landowners who had much of their land stolen and redistributed.

There were at least 69 mints in operation during William I's reign generally with at least four moneyers per mint. Eight different pennies were produced consisting of:

Profile left type.

Bonnet type.

Canopy type.

Two sceptres type.

Two stars type.

Sword type.

Profile right type.

and the Paxs type, which the coin above is.

The Paxs type is the most common of William I's coins, in 1833 at Beasworth 6,500 pennies of William I were found. At least 6,400 of these were of the Paxs type. The Paxs type was issued in the years 1086 and 1087. Paxs means peace and the type was thought to have been produced to mark either the death of Cnut of Denmark who was assasinated on July 10th otherwise known as Saint Canute IV (b.1043-d.1086) or the fact that England was experiencing one of its most peaceful existences due to the Domesday Book having been completed and William fending off the Vikings.

This particular penny was minted at Bristol mint by the moneyer Beorhtweard. The reverse reads BRIHTPORD ON BRI. Now, 6,500 William I pennies were found in one hoard alone and there must be thousands more in collections so it is most surprising that less than fifty coins of William I are known for Bristol mint. That is less than fifty coins from all his types, not just the Paxs. Therefore this penny is quite scarce given the lack of apparent Bristol pence. The reverse features a short cross pattée with PAXS within its limbs.

The obverse features William's draped bust with arm and hand holding a sceptre which is spread across his breast. Reading PILLELM REX, i.e. King William.

So, there we have it. My favourite William I Penny, Paxs issue. Beorhtweard on the scarce mint of Bristol. Not far off as-struck condition and measuring just under 2cm in diameter or about 3/4 of an inch.

Windsor_Castle_from_the_air.jpg

One of William I's first Castles, the gothic silhouette is early 19th Century but many of the original features still remain. William was a believer in the motte and bailey style as is shown by his string of Castles across his new kingdom. This being Windsor Castle.

guildford2m.jpg

^ Guildford Castle, also founded by William.

White_Tower.jpg

^ The White Tower at the Tower of London, also William's work.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/William_Conqueror_Bayeux_Tapestry.jpg

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/William_Conqueror_Bayeux_Tapestry.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Windsor_Castle_from_the_air.jpg

http://www.castlexplorer.co.uk/england/guildford/img/guildford2m.jpg

http://www.infobritain.co.uk/White_Tower.jpg

You have the most amazing collection of English hammered coinage I've ever seen, and the history lessons you provide are simply fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing all of these with us.

Thank you very much AuldFartte, I have only put a few of my coins here on CP for others to see. I have hundreds more in my collection and will probably put many more on CP for others to see.

It's good to get comments like yours as it means that I will put more on as I know people are looking at them and learning from them.

You have the most amazing collection of English hammered coinage I've ever seen, and the history lessons you provide are simply fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing all of these with us.

ditto!

• 3 months later...
Magnificent collection of coins, they have left me speechless, the william 1st is utterly beautiful coin, and they are a superb referance for newbys like myself

Stuning coin :ninja:

Just up to your usual standard, Clive It always make me green with envy and getting greener with each post ;)

It might interest you to know, my first coin collection, in the dim and distant past, was housed in a cabinet I had made myself and was Covered with marquetry of the Witan taken from the picture you show! After many years I sold the collection and the cabinet was stored - and fell to pieces when I retreaved it! DIY? ;)

I found an old photo where it is present in the back-ground!

48731341d7efeb2760f6c4f2d7d38cab18c44f99c96ac1264a1c408a1c542b32d8646e2b.jpg

Here's a linnk Another try

Isn't it strange, I had the picture up OK, now it's gone. I have some sort of jinx when it comes to images :ninja:

Now I am confused!

Just up to your usual standard, Clive It always make me green with envy and getting greener with each post :ninja:

Well I won't tell you what I plan to purchase this month then... ;)

Wow! I would never be able to make myself a cabinet, I'd end up super-gluing the coins to the trays by accident! I would love to see some pictures as the one above doesn't seem to be working ;)

How did you make it? What did you collect? I never knew this about you and assumed you had always focused on Edward I.

I've added another link. " Another try"-Try that.

I actually started with Hammered coins which were affordable then. But I amassed a large number of Victorian silver, in EF. They were plentiful in Malta when I was there for not much more than Double face. Sadly all sold at knock-down prices to buy my first computer. :ninja:

Just up to your usual standard, Clive It always make me green with envy and getting greener with each post ;)

It might interest you to know, my first coin collection, in the dim and distant past, was housed in a cabinet I had made myself and was Covered with marquetry of the Witan taken from the picture you show! After many years I sold the collection and the cabinet was stored - and fell to pieces when I retreaved it! DIY? ;)

I found an old photo where it is present in the back-ground!

48731341d7efeb2760f6c4f2d7d38cab18c44f99c96ac1264a1c408a1c542b32d8646e2b.jpg

Here's a linnk Another try

Isn't it strange, I had the picture up OK, now it's gone. I have some sort of jinx when it comes to images ;)

Now I am confused!

Bild nicht verfugbar - I think I just found a new German curse word to try out on unsuspecting miscreants :ninja:

• 5 months later...
The missing photo

Well! Still trying to post this damned photo!!!

Another go!

Yipee!

70861660ca52887a28006a3d5d99f447b1e82c6785772b5062f20e1cded408f02ace5ecc.jpg

Wow, a very nice cabinet Richard!! :ninja:

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Clive,yep i agree also,the penny is fab!!! and the history lesson too, perhaps you can do your next lesson on the commemoritive penny of saint edmund?? im a little confused as to why the vikings made pennies to commemorate him even though they murdered him? or do i have the wrong end of the stick? regards again :yes: