CoinPeople.com

New 2009 coins

numismatic nut

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This past Tuesday I got another nice shiny Lincoln lifer from a Blockbuster.

Two in one month's time, man maybe by next year I'll have seen another of the Lincoln designs!

Still no territory quarters yet.

I actually just got one of them last night. I still have yet to see much else from 09 though.

2009's are hard to find. So far I've found about three pennies and 4 or the territory quarters. I have been able to get some dollars at the bank. No nickels or dimes or halfs.

I either get them en masse through work, or hardly ever come by them. So far:

Pennies

Cabin: 400+ P, 2 D

Log Splitters: 1400+ P, 5 D

Formative: 15 P

Quarters

DC: 90+ P

PR: 1 P

Guam: 1 P

Dollars

4 Harrison-P

1 Tyler-P

1 Sac-P, 1 Sac-D

I'm hoping to be able to barter some of my rolls of log splitters (and maybe a few of the cabin cents) to even out my collection across the P and D mint marks.

A good friend of mine also got me a small assortment of 2009 Euro coins while he was on vacation in Ireland last June.

• 1 month later...

I got my first ever circulated 2009 1c the other day , i subscribed to the mints program to get 5 rolls of each and im glad i did now as i havnt seen any but the two i got in change which were formative years pennies.

Quarters are circulating and ive gotten several 2009's , no nickels and no dimes yet other than the ones i paid a buck for on ebay.I remember seeing the 2009 nickel selling for $45 and the dime @ $27 , changed days there when you can get them for a buck and free shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I was happily surprised to find a 2009 P dime in my "trasient coins" box tonight , beautiful condition too , it stood out as i looked at the coins and im wondering how i missed that one,its dansco'ed up already,im still looking for the D and also both 2009 nickels.

I have received a few of these now and again...

2009lincolnsimg8034.jpg

... and maybe a SQ or two....but absolutely NO dimes or nickels.

In fact, for the first time I can remember, it's late December and the only current date nickel I have received in circulation is this one...

2009cdn5img8017.jpg

what's up with this?

Ive had a quick scan through all the posts and i dont see reference to why the 2009 dimes and nickels are scarce.The US mint announced in april or june that they were ceasing manufacture of 2009 dimes and nickels.This created a panic mode buying by rolls to profit and also hoard.

If one looks at the actual mintage numbers they shouldnt be nearly as rare as they are.The only place youll find 2009 dimes or nickels is ebay.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the UK 2009 list,

1p - June

2p - November (and to date only 1 of these)

5p - September

10p - September

20p - November

50p - Not seen

£1 - Not seen

£2 - Not seen

So it's not just the US and Canada which are slow this year.

Man, when they said the economy had slowed down, who knew it was meant so literally? :ninja:

Found my first Denver mint Lincoln cent last night, the one with the capital dome being built. Did anyone hear about the new design release date, btw?

Found my first Denver mint Lincoln cent last night, the one with the capital dome being built. Did anyone hear about the new design release date, btw?

I heard February.

• 3 weeks later...

Let the record reflect that on the afternoon of Saturday, February 6, 2010, I finally got my first 2009 coin in change -- 2009P Guam quarter. I've never had it take that long for a year's mintage to get to me before. :ninja:

Let the record reflect that on the afternoon of Saturday, February 6, 2010, I finally got my first 2009 coin in change -- 2009P Guam quarter. I've never had it take that long for a year's mintage to get to me before. :ninja:

I know why 2009 coins are rare around your parts. I try to avoid anything Ohio State, too!

Archived