CoinPeople.com

New 2009 coins

numismatic nut

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Did the cashier think they were quarters? ;)

No, she didn't. :ninja: But I have since been told at the bank that our area is a being tested by the feds to see if they can get people using the $1 coins. They have a sign up in the bank saying that the USA is one of two countries that still uses paper currency for under $5. (I found that hard to believe. Can you tell I don't know much about world coins and currency?) I have since been back to Starbucks where I got the two, new $1 coins in change and I was told they get them in every day.

The same question comes up almost every year about this time. I usually just laugh since I never see any of the same year they are supposed to come out until about June or later. I still seldom see 2008 coins. With this Lincoln stuff going on I don't think I'll see any 2009 coins until about 2117.

Nada...I use to see the new pennies much earlier in the year but that hasn't been the case these past few years

You know, I thought I use to see a newer penny a bit earlier as well.

No, she didn't. :ninja: But I have since been told at the bank that our area is a being tested by the feds to see if they can get people using the $1 coins. They have a sign up in the bank saying that the USA is one of two countries that still uses paper currency for under $5. (I found that hard to believe. Can you tell I don't know much about world coins and currency?) I have since been back to Starbucks where I got the two, new $1 coins in change and I was told they get them in every day.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of a business actually using them. Maybe it will catch on.

I've heard that with the recession, everyone is turning in coins, and the banks are flooded with cents, so they are not ordering them. In the same vane, they are just not ordering the new Sacs or territory quarters either.

That might explain why my bank isn't ordering the Sacs, but then again it might have something to do with not too many people using the $1 coins. :ninja:

I've been asking for the new pennies at the bank every week for the past couple months, and they always say that they're so overstocked with pennies that they don't need to order any more. So I walk out with 4-8 rolls, search through them for any goodies, wrap them back up, and trade them in at the cash office at work. We've been getting the state quarters both at the banks and at work on a fairly regular basis (We just got 10-20 rolls of Hawaii quarters about a month ago), but pennies are a bit harder to come by. I live on the east coast, so we get the P coins pretty early in the year, but it takes a very long time to get anything with a D mintmark on it. If memory serves, it wasn't until December 31 of last year that I found a 2008-D penny. I've only seen a couple rolls of 2008 dimes, and I've hardly seen any 2008 nickels at all.

Banks usually have a steady supply of presidential/sacs (and anthony dollars too for some reason) because of pressures from the bank and collectors, but in nearly a year of cashiering, I've only recieved a grand total of 3 $1 coins from circulation. I'm going back to the bank to ask for the new coins again in a few days, but so far I have not seen a single 2009 coin, either from a bank or in circulation.

They had the new Indian dollars at the bank yesterday. I like the bareness of the obverse but am less impressed by the reverse.

I had one out to show to a friend at the Chinese place while we were paying and the cashier said, "Whoa, cool!" so that became part of his tip.

Archived