CoinPeople.com

Edward the Elder Penny

YeOldeCollector

Elder1.jpg

Elder2.jpg

Edward the Elder Two Line Type penny, Wessex Mint (most likely Winchester), moneyer is Fritheberht. This one is circa 915.

FRIDE BRHMO is the moneyer, Fritheberht. FRIDEBRH representing his name and MO referring to moneyer.

On later Anglo-Saxon coins you often see legends such as SPETNIC MO LUND, translates the same as ON to be honest.

Cheers Bill, managed to pick this one up quite cheaply so am glad. Also getting better at taking photos so people like you can get a chance to see a tiny part of my collection.

Two questions:

1) Why is the moneyer displayed so prominently on the coin? Why not just a mint mark?

2) Why does the coins seem rough and stucco-ey?

Two questions:

1) Why is the moneyer displayed so prominently on the coin? Why not just a mint mark?

2) Why does the coins seem rough and stucco-ey?

George,

Moneyers at this time were of the highest social class and were considered noble men. The man named on this coin did not strike the coin, he was so wealthy that he could afford to hire smiths to strike the coins for him. The 'moneyer' was an overseer of the mint rather than someone that participated in the striking.

As the moneyer was in charge then he would be answerable to the King if anything went wrong so his name was prominently displayed so as to allow him to be traced more easily.

As for the roughness and 'stucco-ey', bearing in mind that this coin has been in the ground for about 1000 years and most likely in some sort of acidic soil then general roughness as shown above on the coin is expected. This most likely shows that the silver coin was not of the highest quality and might have been mixed with a base metal, hence it being more susceptible to the soil's effects.

Your photography is quite good. I can actually picture this coin in my hand.

Many thanks Bill, invested in a new camera but still getting to grips with it. :ninja:

You know what Clive one could come to hate you quite easily LOL again another lovely coin and the 1st one of those I have ever seen outside of a museam :ninja:

Archived