CoinPeople.com

South Africa 1965 proof cent die variety

sandy3075

As much as I love collecting coins I love exploring and comparing them even more. So naturally when you got a lot of similar/same coins at hand this can be both intriguing and time consuming. But if you find one - especially not mentioned before - it is quite rewarding. It appears we have a case here - "around sparrows" :ninja:. When comparing a good number (~30) one cents for earlier republican mintage (1965 through 75) I found that in some cases the upper brunch with the sparrows does not actually touch the sparrow body on the left side. It is supposed to be covered fully by the body but on this 1965 Afrikaans legend proof cent (left) it does not while on 1969 English legend and majority of others both of the top brunches fully reach sparrow body (right). There is also a "half" variety where only the lower of the two branches does not reach the bidy.

SA65A_2___South_Africa_1965_cent_pr_detail_reverse.JPG

SA69A_2___South_Africa_cent_pr_detail_reverse.JPG

I like the coin. Don't think that I have one in my collection. I've been tempted lately to start a collection of 1 cents coins or equivalent from all over the world. It would be fun. There are a lot of coins out there. Nice pictures on the variety.

Archived