CoinPeople.com

Dream Coin

Here's a chance to share with our CPeeps friends the coin/coins that we'd each like most to add to our collections. I'm suggesting that you tell us a little about why and try to post a nice picture of the coin you want most.

I'll start.

1909-S Indian Head Cent - I've always really liked Indian Head Cents. It probably goes back to when I was a kid and we'd search through rolls of coins from the bank. Indian Head Cents would show up but not very often. Since I always liked cents in general, they became a special item for me. I still feel that they are one of the nicest designs of all US coinage and find them very pleasant even in well used condition.

CoinFacts 1909-S Indian Head Cent - picture and history

1909s_cent_indian_obv.jpg1909s_cent_indian_rev.jpg

Images courtesy of CoinFacts website

I'd really like this coin:

0493large.gif

'tis a gold Coenwulf penny, solid gold!

According to Spink; "It is the only known gold coin in the name of Coenwulf of Mercia and the only known purpose made Anglo-Saxon gold penny of clearly regal design. In addition, it is also the only known coin with a London mint signature and to refer to the ‘wic’ of London (Anglo-Saxon trading settlement, outside the old city walls to the west of the old Roman city)."

But it's unique and sold for £230,000 which is about $345,000...

One of these wouldn't be turned down either.

henry.gif

"the finest known example of the Henry III gold Penny of twenty pence face value. This dates from about 400 years later than Coenwulf" it sold for £159,000 or $240,000. There are several of these around, most in museums though which is a shame.

But as to a coin that I might be able to purchase at some point in my life would be a coin of Queen Cynethryth (wife of King Offa of Mercia).

image02123.jpg

Even a decent one of these would go for £10,000+...

Great coins so far, everyone! I'm taking my time to answer this thread. I love it when these threads pop up every few months. It was about time. Thanks, Art.

Anyway, I'll probably go the way Clive did - one coin i'll never have, one coin within reach, and one much more attainable.

Gothic Crown for my Victorian type set :ninja:

Gee. I disappear for a little while (8 MONTHS) and find out how much I've missed. Started a new job in May, computer crashed (seriously screwed up) about three months, got remarried (thank you, please hold your applause), and got the computer back up a few days ago.

As for my Dream Coin, it's my avitar... an 1880 Flowing Hair Stella, NGC MS-66. If I hit the lottery, it's mine. Otherwise, it remains a dream (sigh).

Jerry

Nice to be back.

Gee. I disappear for a little while (8 MONTHS) and find out how much I've missed. Started a new job in May, computer crashed (seriously screwed up) about three months, got remarried (thank you, please hold your applause), and got the computer back up a few days ago.

As for my Dream Coin, it's my avitar... an 1880 Flowing Hair Stella, NGC MS-66. If I hit the lottery, it's mine. Otherwise, it remains a dream (sigh).

Jerry

Nice to be back.

Welcome back. Hope that all your changes are happy ones. Best on your marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my strongest interests in numismatics is the problem of the invention of coinage. Therefore, the early electrum is always compelling.

Gemini, LLC: Auction 4: 8 January 2008: Lot number: 181

Price realized: 13,000 USD (not including buyer's fees).

IONIA. Miletos. Late seventh to early sixth century BC. Electrum stater (13.95 gm). Roaring lion reclining left, head reverted, within rectangular frame with dentate pattern / Three incuse punches: top punch roughly square,

containing cruciform pattern formed of five pellets; middle punch roughly rectangular, containing fox left and other patterns; bottom punch roughly square, containing head of stag right. Cf. Weidauer 126 (similar reverse punches, but stag head left and on top). Pleasant very fine.

Estimate: US$3500

(Image removed 24Sept2010 - mem)

There are so many, but I guess my one dream would be the double framed set of the Panama Pacific commemoratives. Yes, I know that is more than one coin, but do any of the sets remain intact as a set? They've been sold as individual coins in slabs and the frames bring upwards of $20,000 with no coins. I'd like an original, intact set in the frame.

1876cc_twenty_cents_obv.jpg1876cc_twenty_cents_rev.jpg

The 1876-CC Twenty Cents is a great rarity in American numismatics. A mintage of 10,000 makes for a rare coin, but the extreme rarity of this date may have been caused by other factors. In a letter dated March 19, 1877, the Director of the Mint (Henry R. Linderman) ordered the Superintendent of the Carson City Mint (James Crawford) to melt down all Twenty Cents still on hand at the time. Presumably, many, if not most, of the 1876-CC Twenty Cents were included in the melt.

An estimated 12-20 1876-CC Twenty Cents are known today. Most of the surviving examples are in Uncirculated condition, leading some experts to believe that they were specimens set aside for the annual assay.

I love the coins and history of the Carson City mint, so this would be my choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Judd 1205, the Dollar of the Amazonian set of 1872 designed by William Barber.

(Image removed 24Sept2010 - mm)