CoinPeople.com

My take on the Higley Coppers..... 3 Pence

You just gotta love the phrase " Value Me as You Please"

They are a set of Hard Times Tokens.

1861 Alfred S. Robinson Banker

They are examples of Robinson's card incorporating his copy of the Higley copper

The first one is copper/nickel MS63

and the second one is brass MS62PL

This guy must have been a very busy numismatist in the 1800's, just look at all

he was doing

Just some quick images and I will take some better ones later.

they are Rare 7

which interprets into Estimated 4-12 Specimens.

deer028.jpg

deer030.jpg

When tilted the copper/nickel has some very pretty colors.

deer014.jpg

deer024.jpg

This one is brass MS62PL, hard to capture the pl qualities.

deer043.jpg

deer036.jpg

Nice tokens. I'm intrigued by uncurrent money!

I wonder when the term numismatist or numismatics first came into common usage?

• 2 weeks later...

Estimated 4-12 specimens, and you own three. Whoa!

The second one is near perfect. I wouldn't mind finding any of them in my Christmas stocking... :ninja:

According to the following 150 were struck in each of 5 various metals to a total of 750 + 20 in silver:

1861 Rulau CtHa 15 Miller CONN 10. Robinson storecard - white metal

Obverse: [hand with pointing index finger] VALVE . ME . AS . YOU . PLEASE [five poined star] / III

Reverse: ALFRED S. ROBINSON / BANKER / NUMISMATIST & NOTARY PUBLIC / DEALER IN / STOCKS, BONDS, NOTES, / LAND WARRANTS / UNCURRENT MONEY / & ALL KINDS OF / AMERICAN & FOREIGN / SPECIE. / HARTFORD, CONN. 1861

Weight: 119.1 grains (7.71 grams) Diameter: 26.6 mm.

Comments: Although more commonly known by the Rulau and Miller storecard token numbers, this is also listed in Kenny as Robinson 1. The obverse is based on the type 2 Higley with "VALVE" although it is not a close copy. According to Robinson's price list, reproduced in Kenny, 20 examples were produced in silver and 150 examples were produced in each of the following metals: brass, copper, nickel, plated and in tin. Robinson called this storecard the Granby copy after the city where the original coppers were produced.

LINK TO HIGLEY COPPERS

According to the following 150 were struck in each of 5 various metals to a total of 750 + 20 in silver:

1861 Rulau CtHa 15 Miller CONN 10. Robinson storecard - white metal

Obverse: [hand with pointing index finger] VALVE . ME . AS . YOU . PLEASE [five poined star] / III

Reverse: ALFRED S. ROBINSON / BANKER / NUMISMATIST & NOTARY PUBLIC / DEALER IN / STOCKS, BONDS, NOTES, / LAND WARRANTS / UNCURRENT MONEY / & ALL KINDS OF / AMERICAN & FOREIGN / SPECIE. / HARTFORD, CONN. 1861

Weight: 119.1 grains (7.71 grams) Diameter: 26.6 mm.

Comments: Although more commonly known by the Rulau and Miller storecard token numbers, this is also listed in Kenny as Robinson 1. The obverse is based on the type 2 Higley with "VALVE" although it is not a close copy. According to Robinson's price list, reproduced in Kenny, 20 examples were produced in silver and 150 examples were produced in each of the following metals: brass, copper, nickel, plated and in tin. Robinson called this storecard the Granby copy after the city where the original coppers were produced.

LINK TO HIGLEY COPPERS

Funny you should post this.................

I was checking this one out a few days after I posted this and came across this site also.

I wonder why it is listed as R7? maybe an error, I have to check with a few dealers to get the real scoop:)

Also, I didn't see the copper/nickel composition listed?

Thanks for your input

I wonder why it is listed as R7? maybe an error, I have to check with a few dealers to get the real scoop:)

Maybe, maybe not. The mintage figures could be what was planned, but never made. They also could have been made and have not survived. I assume the Rulau rarity estimates are based on the market place and not the original published mintage figures.

Heritage Signature Auction #416 september 16 2006

Page 56 & 57 One in silver, one in copper, one in copper-nickle one in brass, one in white-metal. Interestingly only the copper one is listed as R7, the rarity of the others is not mentioned, surely the silver must be very rare if only 20 were originally struck?

As Bill says, the rarity is based on what is available now, not on how many were struck. Perhaps the copper struck one is rarer than the others because most of the copper ones were melted down!

Archived