CoinPeople.com

Calling Jtryka

Ætheling

Hey Jeff that Saint set of yours is a stunner. I like how the 1924 Saint was your first, funnily enough my first Saint is a 1924 also.

I have a 1928 Saint reserved with a dealer which i hope to purchase sooner or later. With a bit of luck it's next in line but one. :ninja:

I can see why you took to the Saints, they are nice coins. Ideally i prefer the $20 Liberty design but i've put any ideas of doing a 20th century set of them on hold for the unforseeable future.

Thanks for the kind words! I'd be happy to share some of my experience and answer any questions I can as you embark on your collecting journey. One lesson I quickly learned in Saints is to go after the better date commons before the really common ones. By that I mean there are many dates like the 1914-S, 1915-S and some others that are just as common as the 1924 or 1927, but they are almost always easier to sell and at better prices than their 1920s counterparts. That's why I still don't have a 1923, 23-D or 25! They'll always be around and available. The other thing is to get to know the market. Look at the Heritage or other online auctions and see what is available and how they are selling. That gave me a lot of insight on my 1916-S purchase. Every dealer that I talked to said the 16-S was a common date just like the 14-S or 15-S, yet I just never saw that many for sale! So I figured either someone was cornering the market, or maybe this wasn't as common as everyone wanted to believe. It turned out that I was right, and the 16-S I bought turned out to be a major bargain (so was one in MS-64 that I bought for a friend a few years back for $550!). The same is true with the no motto coins, many go right for the 08-NM, but that is the most common coin around! Even if you are only buying for type, get an 07, in MS-63 it's not much different in price but offers so much more as a first year issue with a legendary date!

You are so right on libs, except of course I think Saints are a lot prettier! I have a few libs, at least one of each type, but the cost is incredible in grades of MS-63 and higher. The one thing I do with libs is look for the better dates that are ignored (are you sensing a theme here?) like the 1906 or 1889, no premium but much lower mintage/population. Finally, one area that is the ugly step child of double eagles is the Type 2 Liberties, and they are the big bargains right now. You can buy AU-58 to MS-60 common Ty 2 coins for barely over melt in many cases, and for a coin with that much beauty over 100 years old, that is a bargain. It's still near impossible to collect the whole set thanks to the 1870-CC, but most of the set is quite obtainable in EF to AU.

Anyhow, if you have any questions, ask, and best of luck to you!

Don't worry if i ever need advice on anything i'll be straight to you. :ninja:

Obviously i'm just starting out at present and i was just going to focus on the P Mint 1920s issues but if i really take to the series i may go beyond to other mints and other dates. I've yet to make my mind up just yet. It'll be slow work whichever way i go! ;)

Tell me about it, i've brushed those under the carpet... i'll deal with those as and when! :ninja: Expected completion date 2129.

The 21 will be the gap i think that might not get filled any time... (i was gonna add soon, but i think i'm a bit more accurate in leaving it off) ;)