CoinPeople.com

Radford Stearns

STEVE MOULDING

I was very sorry to learn today that Radford Stearns has died at age 67.

Radford always went the extra mile in helping me when I was researching some of the rarer russian copper coins. He would happily photograph and mail me prints of his own coins, some of which I was just amazed and privileged to see. His collection must have some of the rarest russian copper anywhere.

Radford was recently elected to the board of Governors of the ANA. Sadly, they and the rest of the numismatic world have lost somebody special. He will be missed.

I was very sorry to learn today that Radford Stearns has died at age 67.

Radford always went the extra mile in helping me when I was researching some of the rarer russian copper coins. He would happily photograph and mail me prints of his own coins, some of which I was just amazed and privileged to see. His collection must have some of the rarest russian copper anywhere.

Radford was recently elected to the board of Governors of the ANA. Sadly, they and the rest of the numismatic world have lost somebody special. He will be missed.

He shared generously with others as well. Although I never met him in person, he contributed freely to an article I co-authored about St. Mountain half dollars as did Adna Wilde, another great numismatist who passed away recently.

When I met Radford for the first time (at the ANA show in Atlanta more than 7 years ago), he showed me a catalog of his collection - it was actually Brekke's book with pen written notes next to the coins he had in his collection. I did not see too many open positions there. I am pretty sure his collection is one of the greatest Russian copper collections.

Archived