CoinPeople.com

Sloppy letters on proof 1826 Rouble

marv

Since I own what I believe to be the finest known circulation strike 1826 Wings Up rouble, I'm always on the lookout for this type and date. In the forthcoming Heritage NYINC auction, there is an 1826 proof in a PCGS PF64 holder. Comparing that coin to mine points up what I think is a very interesting situation: the reverse punching has been done in a very sloppy manner on the proof with the individual letters punched in at different angles and even the "2" and "1" in 21 Dolya using very different sized fonts. One would think that extra care would be taken with the proof die versus a regular circulation coin die such as used with my coin. In particular on the proof, look at the "O" in the word "Chistavo" - slanted strongly to the right. Compare that with the "O" on my coin - well aligned.

On my coin, most of the text is fairly well done, but not perfectly aligned. On the proof, it looks like a rank amateur did the punching.

Heritage Coin - PCGS PF64

Heritage PF64 Wings Up

My coin - NGC MS67:

see attachments.

Marv Finnley

1826MS67R.JPG

1826MS67O.JPG

Now that I look at this proof again, I think I know the answer: too much vodka.

Could be! :ninja: Here's another one I found just today, a proof from 1830:

Gorny & Mosch October auction: proof 1830 rouble

As one can see, it also has several misaligned letters on the reverse including a hokey-looking "21". The obverse looks very good, though.

Whoa! That one's worse than the 1826. I wonder just who was doing the proof dies? You're right that both the 1826 and the 1830 exhibit poor reverses but fine obverses. That's really weird. I hope that Bob Julian can chime in on this thread with some wisdom. Why would proof dies be much worse than circulation dies? Doesn't make sense (to me at least).

You know, now I'm wondering whether these are novodels and made around the same time? With a novodel, they would, perhaps, not be as careful with something that wouldn't have to endure the scrutiny of a mint official? Or, possibly, they are not novodels and the pressure to produce proofs in addition to the regular coinage caused these sloppy dies to be made? I just haven't seen the same kind of sloppiness on circulation strikes as on these proofs - but then again, maybe I just haven't looked enough.

Marv

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another proof 1830 wings-down rouble with sloppy reverse lettering:

H.D. Rauch auction, 1830 proof rouble

I guess it's good to see these ... if the lettering is too perfect, then it must be a fake! :ninja:

This is becoming very interesting. I wonder if later date proofs exhibit the same effect? Why in the world would they let a proof go to collectors with such poor lettering alignment?

Marv

Archived