CoinPeople.com

2 kopeiki EM 1830 old type

alexbq2

Thanks Gxseries! I saw that too, I’ve seen a number of clashes on the Ekaterinburg coinage of that period.

I’ve tried to find images of 1830 2 kopeek EM to compare this coin to. So far nothing. Iliyn ranks the less common variety at 3 roubles and the more common at 1 rouble. I haven’t found images of either yet. If anyone has one in their records, please post it here.

Interestingly enough, I searched for sale records on the coinstat site, and there was only 1 recorded sale of a 2 kopeek1830 EM IK in 6 years!

http://tsovin.ru/coins/?nom=2+%EA%EE%EF&am...=2008&auc=0

Thanks Gxseries! I saw that too, I’ve seen a number of clashes on the Ekaterinburg coinage of that period.

I’ve tried to find images of 1830 2 kopeek EM to compare this coin to. So far nothing. Iliyn ranks the less common variety at 3 roubles and the more common at 1 rouble. I haven’t found images of either yet. If anyone has one in their records, please post it here.

Interestingly enough, I searched for sale records on the coinstat site, and there was only 1 recorded sale of a 2 kopeek1830 EM IK in 6 years!

http://tsovin.ru/coins/?nom=2+%EA%EE%EF&am...=2008&auc=0

I have images of 1500 different 2 Kopecks of Nicholas I...this is the first 1830EM I've seen :ninja:

That said, I haven't yet gone through Brekke III and a lot of other 19thC copper material still on hand, so I will likely see some others. Even at this point though I'd say 1830EM looks rare.

I have images of 1500 different 2 Kopecks of Nicholas I...this is the first 1830EM I've seen :ninja:

That said, I haven't yet gone through Brekke III and a lot of other 19thC copper material still on hand, so I will likely see some others. Even at this point though I'd say 1830EM looks rare.

Very surprising, as Bitkin gives it a single R, Iliyn/Usoupov a dot in the case of the smaller mintmaster, Uzdenikov does not give it anything, Brekke gives it a dot. By all accounts this should be a marginally scarce coin.

• 1 month later...
It seems that most authors do not list varieties for this coin. Usoupov lists 2, with smaller and larger mintmaster's initials - IK. Which one is this?

Shown is the Aalborg specimen, sold in Copenhagen in RUSSIA IV at abt $130. The Brekke coin cannot be viewed as it was included in lot # 1673 together with 3 other coins, no picture. That lot fetched $100 in 1994. The only other picture I found is the Grand Duke Michailovich piece which see here. Sigi

2kop1830emss2.jpg

By sigistenz

Shown is the Aalborg specimen, sold in Copenhagen in RUSSIA IV at abt $130. The Brekke coin cannot be viewed as it was included in lot # 1673 together with 3 other coins, no picture. That lot fetched $100 in 1994. The only other picture I found is the Grand Duke Michailovich piece which see here. Sigi

Thanks Sigistenz! I did figure out that this and some other coins I picked up on eBay are the remnants of the Aalborg collection. I don't know why they ended up on eBay, but they were auctioned off by Tomas Hoiland. I guess the original buyers refused them, not sure why they did not go to the underbidders.

Archived