CoinPeople.com

Future key variety 'small' USA $1 coins in circulation?

mgk920

I had a thought the other day. Once the USA gets around to doing the right thing and drops its $1 banknote, the current 'small' $1 coins will start working like they are intended to. Estimates that I have seen will require as many 14-15 BILLION $1 coins to be made in order to complete that transition, of which maybe 3-4 billion now exist.

With the many governmental stutter-steps taken since the late 1970s, that means that there will be a BUNCH of very scarce varieties of 'small' $1 coins that will be available in regular circulation and that should make change-looking and picking fun again.

A few 'keys' that I can think of:

-1999-D SBAs - only 11 million were made and although obviously very scarce on the nationwide scale, except for the mint set coins, they were ALL placed into circulation and are very common here in the Appleton, WI area. Nice lightly circulated ones will be rare indeed.

-2002 to 2008 Sacs - mostly made for collector sets, bags and rolls, the USMint apparently disposed of unsold stock by placing them into circulation. Some rolls and bags were also purposely bought and placed into circulation (wink, wink).

-Most 19th Century 'Presidentials', especially the mid-late century ones.

Any thoughts?

Mike

I also have the feeling sometime later in the presidential series there will be some low mintage ones. The mint will slow down the trying to get them out there more and just filling what ever replacement or orders they get. The 2005 p and d mintage numbers are the lowest on the sacs. (With exception of 2007 s as per redbook)

Very well could happen if the government does indeed end the $1 bill. I suspect if the government eliminated the $1 bill and $1 coins were to become common then people would start spending first and asking questions about rarity later, with the exception of collectors of course. :ninja: So then all $1 coins start getting the wear and tear we've come to expect from other coins used in daily transaction making a low minted $1 coin in good condition even rarer and thus harder to find. So start stocking up now! The US Mint is now selling direct to the public $1 coins at face value with free shipping!

My prediction is that the dollar bill will continue until no money is required at all and the entire world has gone plastic. Those little baby dollars just don't work around here. Maybe in some countries, but just not here at least for now. Way, way to may people set in their ways, many vending machines don't take them, no place for them in train conductors money changers, taxi people don't like them, people save them since no one hardly sees them. By the time a baby sized dollar coin can be accepted there will be no need for money anyway. We are all going plastic soon enough.

My prediction is that the dollar bill will continue until no money is required at all and the entire world has gone plastic. Those little baby dollars just don't work around here. Maybe in some countries, but just not here at least for now. Way, way to may people set in their ways, many vending machines don't take them, no place for them in train conductors money changers, taxi people don't like them, people save them since no one hardly sees them. By the time a baby sized dollar coin can be accepted there will be no need for money anyway. We are all going plastic soon enough.

I agree... and with modern minting.... the rarest modern coins still have mintage's in the hundred millions... hahaha

I don't think money is going anywhere anytime soon. In theory plastic is much more convenient, but I think for various reasons money will be around for awhile yet. I know for security reasons many people still prefer cash. Also, the government would still need to issue currency for people with bad credit. Despite the large number of people who successfully use credit cards a they should be use there are just too many people who have problems with them.

I do agree with the modern minting statement. Even the so called collector coins like the individual state quarters, Westward Journey nickels and presidential dollar coins are minted in such a large volume we'll be seeing these coins in circulation for years. The dollar coins much, much longer unless they do become widely used and accepted in the future.

Archived