CoinPeople.com

2 Conder Tokens

These are beautiful, Constanius. What's the edifice on the obverse?

I've also decided that you have far too many terrific tokens and medals, but it's OK, you're forgiven, since you're sharing them with everyone.

:ninja:

Those are nice, and I have the same question as Frank - what's on the obverse?

These are beautiful, Constanius. What's the edifice on the obverse?

I've also decided that you have far too many terrific tokens and medals, but it's OK, you're forgiven, since you're sharing them with everyone.

:ninja:

The edifice is Colchester Castle, it looks a little different now but you can see the likeness to the token image. It now houses a museum.

P9150129.jpgIMG_1962_edited.jpg

colchestercastle.jpg

Colchester Castle is a massive stone keep and bailey fortress, built on the foundations of the Roman Temple of Claudius. Only two storeys now survive of this, the largest Norman keep ever built, rectangular in plan with huge flanking towers at the corners.

I have tried to curb my addiction to tokens and medals, with total failure the only result, so far!!!

In anticipation of the next logical question. What is the Bay Trade?

Edge inscription: PAYABLE AT CHARLES HEATHS BAY MAKER COLCHESTER .X.”. The issuer, Charles Heath, was a bay (baize*) maker in Colchester and his legend was a cry from the heart for the revival of a dying trade.

*Baize is a coarse woollen (or in cheaper variants cotton) cloth, sometimes called "felt" in American English based on a similarity in appearance.

It is most often used on snooker and billiards tables to cover the slate and cushions

Thank you very much for the photos! Great information, too :ninja:

Archived