CoinPeople.com

Threehalfpence with no date?

NumisMattic2200

The mintmark is that of a martlet, this puts it within the Second Coinage and no threehalfpences were minted then.

Therefore this is a penny minted in either 1560 or 1561. No rose behind bust and without a date.

Thanks for the info Clive - can you tell me where you see this martlet? I find it great that you used this as a way of identifying it as a Penny. I was told it must be a Half-Groat on CC. But the size is roughly that of a threefarthings, which must be similar in size. Also it is quite bent so the flan should slightly be larger so it makes sense. Of course, I cannot find an example of an Elizabeth Penny in spink! and that's why I could not identify this coin....

The martlet is the bird visible on both sides of the coin, look directly above the queen and you can see the letter A. Clockwise from that A is the martlet. On the reverse, look at the central arm of the shield, it reaches the very top edge of the coin, directly clockwise from that is the same mint mark.

A half-groat always has two pellets behind the bust to show it's worth in pence, i.e. 2 pence.

As for an example in Spink, it is Spink Ref: 2558.

Lizzie's pennies are very interesting coins and I especially like them due to their minute, yet detailed, portraits.

Glad I could help! :ninja:

Archived