CoinPeople.com

What do you do with coins that are....

Sir Sisu

I have a "Junk Jar" where I put all my doubles (for future sales/trades/giveaways/etc), and normally they are in decent to bad shape. I have allowed the occasional sewer coin to join them. However, I have recently gone through a box of Russian/Soviet coins. While many of them are decent there were a lot that were corroded, covered in glue/gunk, extremely scratched, etc.

What do you folks do with such unwanted coins? As they are no longer in use and thus I cannot simply spend them, I feel like it would be a numismatic sin just to toss them in the recycling bin for metal. :ninja: However, these are modern coins (1960+) that have minimal value (with perhaps the exception of unc grades). These are not the kinds of pieces that one offers for trades. I set aside the decent circulated coins for trades and such, but I just do not want to hold on to 20 coins of the same date and denomination that are in s''t shape.

What do/would you do?

Guest Stujoe

Probably give them to my kids since I couldn't spend them. But, my kids are a bit older than your kids. :ninja: Otherwise, I would probably just end up with them in some kind of junk jar.

Coins like that i generally just bin. I offer them away free to anyone who wants them, if no one claims them then they are destroyed.

Simply put i really don't like badly damaged coins of any era. Modern ones less so. If the coin has verdigris then that goes straight in the bin because i really can't abide verdigris, when it comes to that stuff i hate it more than any amount of brasso-ed coins or dipped/polished coins.

Verdigris is the devil itself.

I keep a bowl of coins that have seen some tough times here on my desk. Joe always has kids coming in & out of the house, and often times I'm here at my desk. So when they pop in here to see what I'm doing or to ask for a snack I let them go though and pick out a couple to keep if they wish. There are 1 or 2 kids that I think I may have gotten hooked already :ninja:

Robin

"Creating new collectors...1 short person at a time"

I am posting a small sampling of what I am referring to. For example, I have somewhere between 50-70 of the 1992 1 rouble (shown), with about 20 that are like this. That means I have in the range of 50 decent circulated coins to save for trades and giveaways. Somehow, I cannot imagine anyone wanting these. Or am I just too finicky?

So Sir Sisu-

What have you decided? What are the fates of these little round disks?

Not really sure yet. I was sort of hoping for someone to volunteer. :ninja:

Perhaps with some, I will try what some have suggested, fool around with cleaning agents for the sake of experimentation. (Hmmmm....I am going to the cabin next week. I wonder what 30 minutes in an outdoor grill/campfire and then a dip in a cool lake would do to a coin?)

• 4 months later...

I always put my abused and damaged coins out to rest at the Laughing Coin Ranch. There's quite a small grouping of coins from all over the world. They are a great example for everyone in that as damaged and abused as they are, they just get along perfectly together.

:ninja:

• 5 months later...

Go to a really well known detecting spot and sprinkle them around like crumbs for the birds

Then sit back and watch the fun as the detectorists wonder how a russian coin got to there spot

Also detectorists keep any old stuff so they would be really happy with that stuff

Or donate them to charity for sale

the laughing coin ranch? :ninja:

Absolutely. I have a nice friendly home for those corroded, cut, drilled, bent, worn beyond recognition, marvels. They live in a nice leather satchel in a felt bag. It's quite a nice place and they have lots fo friends to keep them company.

I must confess that I have at least a few "undamaged" coins at the ranch -- a Churchill crown and a well circulated Ike.

Archived