CoinPeople.com

Flashback to 1920

Ætheling

After seeing 16d's last post it reminded me of something. So i just dug out my 1920 edition of the Webster's dictionary (that i picked up at a car boot sale a few years ago) and i thought you guys might like to see the following scan.

The page shows the then current coins of the world. (forgive the large image and the fact that the ones on the left are going a bit out of view there, the page i scanned was far enough into the book that i couldn't get at it completely without damaging the spine)

gallery_58_27_38429.jpg

American, British, French, Spanish and German coins, and an Indian Rupee.

Just incase you were wondering the Walker is 1917, the SLQ is also 1917, the Buff is 1916 as is the Linc. The Morgan is 1881, the $5 is 1909 the $10 is 1908 and i can't tell on the $2.5 but i reckon it's 1910.

Current??? What the heck is a Jubilee Head Victoria doing in there :ninja:

Current??? What the heck is a Jubilee Head Victoria doing in there  :ninja:

Current probably being more what was still readily found in circulation than what was being minted. The Jubilee is a crown and if you think about it the only recent crowns in circulation would be dated from 1887-1902 and none were issued thereafter. (Infact 1902 was the last year a regular issue crown was erm issued).

Fascinating stuff though, almost everything is gold, silver or bronze.

I have examples of more than a few of those types. 1920 would be a fascinating time to experience, but 1910 would also have been a nice time to travel abroad using the coinage of the nations whose coins are depicted.

Imagine a time when international travel was more tiresome but largely unrestricted and when the great works of architecture and the amazingly varied cultures of a thousand ethnicities still existed in Europe.

I may have been born a hundred years too late.

I thought you'd notice that error Jeff, same with the lack of a merc.

Doing this with modern coins and showing them in 90 yeasrs time, well it'd probably take 7 pages just to illustrate all of the quarters.

Then of course time could be saved on the whole of europe by just having a few pages with all the reverse designs on.

As for Britian well it be about the same number of coins then as it is now with designs not unsimilar. Shilling and 10p both got lions, 50p & old penny both got Britannia.

I thought you'd notice that error Jeff, same with the lack of a merc.

Doing this with modern coins and showing them in 90 yeasrs time, well it'd probably take 7 pages just to illustrate all of the quarters.

Then of course time could be saved on the whole of europe by just having a few pages with all the reverse designs on.

As for Britian well it be about the same number of coins then as it is now with designs not unsimilar. Shilling and 10p both got lions, 50p & old penny both got Britannia.

In 90 years time this era of forgettable coinage will be largely forgotten. The worthless crap metal coinage with uninspired designs from The US and the EU will probably not even be regarded as curious or quaint. Fiat money always ends badly and the coinage is still relatively worthless to collectors centuries later even in high grades. The precious metal coins will be all that retains value, most likely.

Archived