CoinPeople.com

Gold Coin on Ebay Real?

mukoh

Has anybody delt with this seller? The coin appears real. Would be interested in opinion. He has entirely too much russian gold coins which leads me to question validity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120327095834

It is probably a genuine coin, but I don't like the hype in the description - the 1904 is not at all rare or even a key date for that matter. I tend to avoid sellers who overhype their offerings.

It is probably a genuine coin, but I don't like the hype in the description - the 1904 is not at all rare or even a key date for that matter. I tend to avoid sellers who overhype their offerings.

I don't mind the hype. As long as the coin is genuine.

...He has entirely too much russian gold coins which leads me to question validity...

I have no opinion regarding authenticity.

However, I am curious why you say the seller has a suspiciously large number of Russian gold coins offered.

As a type, Nicholas II 5 roubles gold coins are not difficult to find (note that I am speaking about a type and not any particular date or variety).

Not so long ago, these traded as bullion coins, so a person having multiple examples does not seem surprising or suspicious to me.

Or am I missing something here?

I have no opinion regarding authenticity.

However, I am curious why you say the seller has a suspiciously large number of Russian gold coins offered.

As a type, Nicholas II 5 roubles gold coins are not difficult to find (note that I am speaking about a type and not any particular date or variety).

Not so long ago, these traded as bullion coins, so a person having multiple examples does not seem surprising or suspicious to me.

Or am I missing something here?

Hehe ... even I have managed to complete a 5 rouble run by date and mintmaster from 1897-1904, including 1901-AR. But like you said, that was back in the days when these were practically bullion and nice uncirculated examples could be had for around $100, XF+/AU for approx. $60-$70 each (something like $5-$10 over melt). I saw many dealers on eBay who were selling indivdual coins from rolls of these.

Those days are LONG gone, unfortunately! :ninja:

Hehe ... even I have managed to complete a 5 rouble run by date and mintmaster from 1897-1904, including 1901-AR. But like you said, that was back in the days when these were practically bullion and nice uncirculated examples could be had for around $100, XF+/AU for approx. $60-$70 each (something like $5-$10 over melt). I saw many dealers on eBay who were selling indivdual coins from rolls of these.

Those days are LONG gone, unfortunately! ;)

Well, "LONG" is a relative concept, :ninja: although I do get your point.

Sadly, many coins which were once within an average collector's financial reach no longer are. ;)

Archived