CoinPeople.com

Just got back from the coin show

KoRnholio

I've had this coin (well, any decent portrait Elizabeth I coin) on my list for a while, but it was a bit of an impulse buy as I don't know that much about hammered coins. Couldn't get a very good picture of it myself, but the last photo is one that the seller had up on his website.

I don't think I overpaid much (if at all) on it, but then again, I don't know how much the chips out of the edges reduce it's value. Any estimates would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

rev1.JPG

obv1.JPG

obv2.JPG

obv3.JPG

my%20Elizabeth%20I%20shilling%20-%20rev%20and%20obv.JPG

Elizabeth I Shilling, m.m. Key. 1595-8, ear showing and of the 6th coinage. Now this books in at about £200 but that is a lot more than you would get at an auction, I could see this going for about £80 if it was on eBay.

So about $150CAD or $125US.

That's just my opinion though.

Elizabeth I Shilling, m.m. Key. 1595-8, ear showing and of the 6th coinage. Now this books in at about £200 but that is a lot more than you would get at an auction, I could see this going for about £80 if it was on eBay.

So about $150CAD or $125US.

That's just my opinion though.

Sounds like I overpaid a bit. FWIW it was listed at $300 CDN on the seller's website :| I paid $220 CDN.

How much do the chips out of the flan affect the value on hammered coins like this? Also what about the weak areas? It seems on the Elizabeth I issue coins flat and weak areas are quite common.

Well it all depends, if I were to see this I would pay around £50 yet some collectors would pay a lot more. Elizabeth's coins are always varying in price as there are so many varieties and are therefore numerous.

The thing that tends to sell these coins is the portrait, yours has a very good portrait for the issue as they were usually very low in relief. It does have a main weak spot, which can be seen 6 o'clock on the obverse and 1 o'clock on the reverse, my bet would be that they are in the same place, I cannot tell though as the die axis varies enormously. These weak spots do not detract much from the portrait, so that's OK.

Admittedly it is a bit ragged, I have seen worse, but this would affect the value by a bit. So, I could see this selling anywhere from $65 CAD to $350 CAD. Although the book value for this is around $350 CAD, you would struggle hugely to get anywhere near that. Therefore, an estimate, I feel, would be around $215 CAD if it was to appear in a leading auction with little competition with other Lizzie Shillings.

Clive.

The thing that tends to sell these coins is the portrait, yours has a very good portrait for the issue as they were usually very low in relief. It does have a main weak spot, which can be seen 6 o'clock on the obverse and 1 o'clock on the reverse, my bet would be that they are in the same place, I cannot tell though as the die axis varies enormously. These weak spots do not detract much from the portrait, so that's OK.

Yes, I bought it mainly for the portrait. As part of my British monarch set. The weak spots on the obverse and reverse do match up.

Nearly all the Elizabeth I portraits I have seen have been extremely weak, or decent, but with weak spots in the worst possible spots. Probably why I jumped on this one right away. That and I am developing a mistrust for ebay, especially for coins I am not familiar with.

Admittedly it is a bit ragged, I have seen worse, but this would affect the value by a bit. So, I could see this selling anywhere from $65 CAD to $350 CAD. Although the book value for this is around $350 CAD, you would struggle hugely to get anywhere near that. Therefore, an estimate, I feel, would be around $215 CAD if it was to appear in a leading auction with little competition with other Lizzie Shillings.

Thanks for the detailed response. It seems the hammered coins are graded more like ancients, where you really need to take all things into account, and generally no one defect is a real deal/value breaker?

Yes, I bought it mainly for the portrait. As part of my British monarch set. The weak spots on the obverse and reverse do match up.

Nearly all the Elizabeth I portraits I have seen have been extremely weak, or decent, but with weak spots in the worst possible spots. Probably why I jumped on this one right away. That and I am developing a mistrust for ebay, especially for coins I am not familiar with.

Thanks for the detailed response. It seems the hammered coins are graded more like ancients, where you really need to take all things into account, and generally no one defect is a real deal/value breaker?

Not a problem, I do like my hammereds so glad to offer a detailed response on my favourite type of coinage. :ninja:

Yes, a weak spot in a plain field would not be too bad as it is often to be expected, but slap bang on her face would be a different story...

Grading of hammereds differs from person to person, as does milleds but with hammereds one person might not notice a slight chip and want a perfect portrait whereas another might not mind a fair portrait but is interested in an even, round flan.

The one thing that can devalue a hammered is a crack, if you have one of those, especially a large one, you can kiss your investment goodbye...

But you have a better than decent example, well done on acquiring such a fine piece.

Clive.

Archived