CoinPeople.com

My first slabbed coin - Russia 2003 no mintmark 5 kopek

gxseries

Nice coin GX! What are you going to do with the plastic it came in?

I also have just one slabbed coin. I keep the my "better" coins in stacking trays in wood boxes, and the overflow in 2x2 flips in in binder books. Im tempted to crack open my lone slabbed coin, a Siberia 5K, so as to better fit in with my collection. Any ideas on how best to crack it open safely?

I cracked both my slabbed coins. Coins shouldn't "live" in plastic. Only americans can come up with

something like that.

For low grade or inexpensive coins, I agree with you that slabs are a waste. However for expensive coins, where the slightest mark can mean a loss of hundreds or thousands of dollars on resale, I think slabs (the "right" slabs) are cheap protection, affording an expert opinion of genuiness as well as protection and helping future buyers (you won't have it forever) have confidence to pay what it's really worth.

I hope you're not keeping your gem proof Nicholas II rouble bare in your wooden tray or in a pvc 2x2 or passing it bare around to your friends to have a look.

Marv Finnley

Guys chill down. Sure EVERYTHING has it's own advantage and disadvantage. I can't think of ANYTHING that has 100% full of advantages. Can you?

I do appreciate what slabs are supposed to do - almost absolute protection although the size of slabs can be a bother. When one is buying from the internet, you would likely to pay better money if good photos of the coin for sale are shown or if the person happened to be inexperienced and received a batch of slabbed coins from his late parents, it makes it easier for him to sell even if he doesn't have good photography skill. Even better is the ease of not worrying how some sellers may pack their coins. Tapes on coins etc, you name it. I don't think I want to list any further. :ninja: If it's on slabs, no worries, just reslab it or something. Assuming if the TPGs do their job right and their grades are about right, it can help to make the life of the seller easier as they don't have to deal with counterfeit claims, cleaned etc. Yea sure, TPGs can always be wrong but it does help to get a third opinion.

That said, I probably will leave the slab as it is. I just wished slabs come in sizes in 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 etc but no, it just have to come in huge size. The other thing that bothers me getting some of my coins slabbed is just how troublesome it is to send coins from overseas and price-wise, it's not economical. Setting their branch overseas could possibly do the numismatic world a favor.

Archived