Ætheling

What would you buy with $500?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What would you buy with $500?

• 100+ coins
    • Several dozen coins
    • Several coins
    • A coin
    • It put it on one side till i had enough to afford my next coin...
    • I'd buy a rare book on coins
    • Coin storage/misc coin related

Depends upon which of my sets i'm working on.

If it's my German then i could probably buy the remaining 5 or 6 and finish it and still have plenty left over for something else.

If it was my Henry VI or my Saint Gauden's set then i could probley only get the one.

If it was for my Anglo-Saxon set then i'd have to put it on one side and find some more more before i could get the next coin.

A Henry I of England penny would just about cover it! ;)

Are you good at making dreams come true??? :ninja:

Henry I eh?

You sure do like the tougher ones don't you of the Norman kings? (well at least it's not William Rufus ;) )

Sorry i haven't got any Henry I's! :lol:

Guest Stujoe

There was a time when my answer would have been 100+ coins but I have bought almost all those coins already. :ninja: Now the answer would probably be several dozen coins if it is money I have saved up for a purpose. However, if it is 'found money', it might be 1 or 2 or 3 coins. ;)

I said "several coins".

I am very happy with coins that cost less than a hundred dollars. When I spend more than that for a coin, it starts to become more than just a hobby, and that's not what I'm interested in.

It all depends what you like. I like history, unfortunately i'm getting into Anglo-Saxon/Viking history and coins are probably the only really viable way of owning things contemporary to this period. Books that survive from this period and all perishable materials that survive are exceedingly rare and tend to be in museums.

Other archaeological finds exist which offer an alternative to coins, brooches and stuff but at the end of the day a brooch probably only went into a few households, maybe went down a few generations at most. A coin went all around the country, saw all kinds of people and can be dated far more accurately. They often have political statements on them, religious devotions. They capture the whole era in ways that personal items and jewelry cannot; social, political and religious.

Now this doesn't mean that i just like expensive coins... i seem to hoard Washington quarters in all kinds of grades, silver ones, clad ones, in UNC, AG, paint on them, corroding ones, spotty ones, cleaned ones. I like the silver ones the most and i like and find happiness in just adding more of them to the hoard. I guess i just like the design.

So i like dirt cheap and really expensive coins pretty much equally. I spend more time with the cheaper ones as it happens. Love raiding junk boxes too. Got a few Third Reich coins last time i went scouring through a junk box, it was fantastic to finally find a bronze 1 reichspfennig decent grade with a bit of lustre (i only had zinc ones) and the brass 10 reichspfennig was a nice one to find too. I got those for about 10 pence each at the York coin fair from some Americans, i hope they're there next weekend too so i can find some more.

Not real sure what I would buy but guarantee everyone it would go into a coin or coins. I like putting my money there so I would make plans to do so but I would also make sure I was getting a coin(s) that would hold its value or be in demand for quite a long time which would probably lead to a purchase of gold or a key, semi-key date coin(s). As long as its coins I am a happy man!

Got a few Third Reich coins last time i went scouring through a junk box, it was fantastic to finally find a bronze 1 reichspfennig decent grade with a bit of lustre (i only had zinc ones) and the brass 10 reichspfennig was a nice one to find too. I got those for about 10 pence each at the York coin fair from some Americans, i hope they're there next weekend too so i can find some more.

Yeah, I love finds like those.

I have a Choice BU red 1 reichspfennig that I truly treasure. Didn't cost much at all.

I like the way you collect, and I couldn't agree more that history is an all-important factor in coin collecting.

I've always said that this hobby can be enjoyed by anyone. It has nothing to do with how much money you throw at it, and it has everything to do with how much pleasure you can glean from it.

Yeah, I love finds like those.

I have a Choice BU red 1 reichspfennig that I truly treasure. Didn't cost much at all.

I like the way you collect, and I couldn't agree more that history is an all-important factor in coin collecting.

I've always said that this hobby can be enjoyed by anyone. It has nothing to do with how much money you throw at it, and it has everything to do with how much pleasure you can glean from it.

Expensive coins for the sake of it really don't do that much for me. For example i can think of say 1934 UK Wreath Crowns, mintage 932 (or near to). Sure if i sold a few things here and there i could get a few thousand pounds and buy a decent one in VF or something. But at the end of the day the coin has no real historical connection to it and i care even less for the design (and it's a psuedo-collector coin as well since the issue were minted to be sold at Post Offices as Christmas gifts for people and not for circulation), so i see one and get no reaction whatsoever, it might as well be 1928 for all i care.

I can see why people get excited about that 1933 double eagle because that coin has got history written all over it. Smuggled out of the mint, owned by a King, minted and directly affected by the politics in the US at that time, directly affected by the politics during it's exile. Tracked down by the US secret service and witnessed a custody battle over it. When it comes to history that particular coin is absolutely loaded with history. Infact i can't think of a better example at this time than that. I wouldn't want it for the sake of owning the most expensive coin in the world or having it for investment reasons, i'd own it for it's legacy, i'd keep it a while and then i'd probably sell it at a loss, there's only me that could lose money on a 1933 double eagle! :ninja:

Expensive coins for the sake of it really don't do that much for me.

Right you are, sir.

I like your reference to the 1933 Double Eagle. You express yourself very well, and it's easy to grasp your meaning.

One of my favorite collecting interests is Merchant tokens from my local area. Nothing overly expensive, but the history they contain means a great deal to me, on a personel level. That's not something that's easily explained to anyone other than true lover of our hobby.

I siad "several" but it would actually only be two or three ... all Victorias, of course :ninja:

Well, okay ... maybe a nice George IV, too.

I voted: I'd put it on one side till i had enough to afford my next coin...

I voted this way with the thought in my mind that this is "extra" money. I almost exclusively buy what I consider to be low to moderately priced coins. On occasion I have splurged on a gold coin of higher value. Right now, I could not think of saving up money to buy one of the more higher priced coins to fill my sets. It may sound strange, but for some reason "found" money would be easier for me to spend on a single frivolous coin; whereas money that I would gather from working and saving would have to go to some important necessity like a bunkbed for the kids, new winter tires for the car, etc.

Right you are, sir.

I like your reference to the 1933 Double Eagle. You express yourself very well, and it's easy to grasp your meaning.

One of my favorite collecting interests is Merchant tokens from my local area. Nothing overly expensive, but the history they contain means a great deal to me, on a personel level. That's not something that's easily explained to anyone other than true lover of our hobby.

I'm glad someone finally understands! ;)

So many invesment orientated collectors have been left banging their heads on the table after only half an hour talking to me. :ninja:

I also like coins with a local feel to them. I always smile when i see an 1812 Sheffield shilling token, i near fell over when i saw a Sheffield sixpence cos i didn't know they even existed! Tokens i don't usually deal in so much but the local feel gets me a bit.

Same with medieval coins i find certain mints more appealing, Lincoln is my favourite because it's my favourite city but i've yet to actually buy one! All i keep coming across are London, Canterbury and a few York mint issues.

Archived