CoinPeople.com

Little help with more German

Drusus

Cant figure out exactly what this is saying about flax? something shrunk that weighed 200 pounds?

its regarding this:

Tat sich einst das rauchlein runden alles alles ist geschwunden wog 200 pfund zuvor schiaet nun jetzt puste rohr

arnstadt01.jpg

Not quite sure what this has to do with flax, but the text on the note ("Tat sich einst das Bäuchlein runden / Alles alles ist geschwunden / wog 200 Pfund zuvor / Schläft nun jetzt im Pusterohr") refers to the effects of inflation and starvation. Rough translation, not word by word but should make more sense than Google's MT: Once the belly was round, then everything (ie. every kilo) has gone; weighed 200 pounds before, can now sleep in a straw ...

The designer, A. Paul Weber, is kind of famous by the way:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Paul_Weber

His best known work is Das Gerücht (The Rumor):

http://www.weber-museum.de/werk/geskrt/ima...ruecht_1953.jpg

Christian

Yeah, I found his other works, pretty amazing that one you posted a link to 'the rumor'...I could stare at it all day :ninja: Most of his work is pretty amazing...reminds me a bit of underground artist like R. Williams.

Here is another one...let me say that for everyone I end up getting help on, I have managed to eek out one or two on my own ;)

This one I got only got so far and then it started breaking down!!

Diese brut kennst du mein lieber es sind wucherer und schieber fruher wurden siean den galgen gehoben heute wird ruhiq weiter geschoben

"This brood know you my dear they are usurers..."

arnstadt02.jpg

I may very well have a few words wrong ;) thanks!

well, I guess I was unable to translate any of the bills from this series very well so I will post them all:

arnstadt03.jpg

Bitte herr burorkatius das doppelte quantumich haben muss ich hab hunger wie ein lowe einen magen wie ne kuh dann kauen sie wieder halten sie ruh

What I get: Please Mr. burorkatius the double quantumich? I must have hunger like a lowe stomach like ne cow then chew it again to hold the rest??

arnstadt04.jpg

was nutzt uns aller eiersegen wennsie in andre nester legen

What I get: egg benediction which we all use if they a put into andres nest??

arnstadt05.jpg

sind siedesteufels das ist zu stark fruhernen groschen und jetzt drei marke

What I get: simmering devil that is too strongly fruhernen groschens and three now mark??

Let's see ... these are rough translations; a professional translator would quite possibly do a better job but charge for it. :ninja:

Diese Brut kennst du mein Lieber - es sind Wucherer und Schieber - früher wurden sie an den Galgen gehoben - heute wird ruhig weiter geschoben.

This rabble you know my dear, they are profiteers and racketeers - in former times they were sent to the gallows, today they calmly (smoothly?) continue to traffic.

Bitte Herr Bürokratius das doppelte Quantum ich haben muss. Ich habe Hunger wie ein Löwe, einen Magen wie 'ne Kuh. - Dann kauen Sie wieder, halten Sie Ruh.

Please, Mr Bureaucratius, the double quantity I need to have. I am as hungry as a lion, have a stomach like a cow - Then chew again* and shut up.

* (what cows do - don't know the English word)

Was nützt uns aller Eiersegen, wenn sie in andre Nester legen?

What is all that egg yield good for if they are put in other (people's) nests?

Sind Sie des Teufels, das ist zu stark - früher 'nen Groschen und jetzt drei Mark

Have you gone mad, that is too much - formerly a groschen, and now three mark

Christian

'Then chew again*' I assume it means cud, the second (and third or more) chewing that is regurgitated by a cow.

As you come cheap, rough translation is just fine ;) I would pay you if I could but then I couldnt buy more and after all, its a labor of love :ninja:

Thanks again for your help.

sorry, I missed this one in the series...feel free to tell me to stop bugging you :ninja:

arnstadt06.jpg

Die ganzesache ist nicht ohne manhofft dochstark dass es sich lohne lostmich nicht ein dann kanns wohl sein

I wont bother saying what I came up with as it makes no sense at all. I need a better german to english translator than babelfish...it just doesnt translate well at all save for the most basic stuff....

No problem, just don't come up with dozens of them at the same time. ;) This last one is funny because in a way it is self-referential:

Die ganze Sache ist nicht ohne · man hofft doch stark · dass es sich lohne · löst mich nicht ein - dann kanns wohl sein

The whole thing is not bad · one firmly hopes · that it pays off · do not cash (redeem) me - then it may well be

(The dots here, not on the note, indicate where in a "proper" German sentence you would have a comma.)

As far as I can tell, that is an allusion to the purpose of such funny and/or nicely designed notgeld notes: On one hand, they are issued to address the lack of small change. On the other hand, the more people accept them without turning them in later, the better for the issuing body. :ninja:

I need a better german to english translator than babelfish...it just doesnt translate well at all save for the most basic stuff

One problem with Babelfish, Google Translation, etc. is that a machine relies on the source being accurate. An uncommon slang word, an ambiguous term, a spelling error - all these cause problems that a human translator does not have or can cope with more easily.

I would not want a company brochure to be machine translated, not even by professional (and paid) MT only. But such free translators already work fairly well if you want to get the gist of, say, a newspaper article. And I suppose they will get even better ...

Christian

yeah, I had to translate something from portugese a bit ago for work, it was text on a DVD presentation from Brazil...so I tried to use a translation program...needless to say, what I got sounded like a person from brazil attempting to speak english for the very first time...it wasnt pretty so we had to hire a guy who was from Brazil to translate...so I understand what you mean.

Like you say, sometimes I can get the gist of what it is saying, so I dont ask for help in those cases.

thanks again.

• 3 months later...
Yeah, I found his other works, pretty amazing that one you posted a link to 'the rumor'...I could stare at it all day :ninja: Most of his work is pretty amazing...reminds me a bit of underground artist like R. Williams.

Here is another one...let me say that for everyone I end up getting help on, I have managed to eek out one or two on my own ;)

This one I got only got so far and then it started breaking down!!

Diese brut kennst du mein lieber es sind wucherer und schieber fruher wurden siean den galgen gehoben heute wird ruhiq weiter geschoben

"This brood know you my dear they are usurers..."

arnstadt02.jpg

I may very well have a few words wrong ;) thanks!

sorry, I missed this one in the series...feel free to tell me to stop bugging you :ninja:

arnstadt06.jpg

Die ganzesache ist nicht ohne manhofft dochstark dass es sich lohne lostmich nicht ein dann kanns wohl sein

I wont bother saying what I came up with as it makes no sense at all. I need a better german to english translator than babelfish...it just doesnt translate well at all save for the most basic stuff....

I can help with the translation. It says:

Not everything is lost

One has high hopes that it will be wothwhile

Don's use me/trade me in

Then perhaps it will come trus

As you may know this emergency money was made in the hope people would collect it and not use it. In this way they hoped to do something against the inflation.

well, I guess I was unable to translate any of the bills from this series very well so I will post them all:

arnstadt03.jpg

Bitte herr burorkatius das doppelte quantumich haben muss ich hab hunger wie ein lowe einen magen wie ne kuh dann kauen sie wieder halten sie ruh

What I get: Please Mr. burorkatius the double quantumich? I must have hunger like a lowe stomach like ne cow then chew it again to hold the rest??

arnstadt04.jpg

was nutzt uns aller eiersegen wennsie in andre nester legen

What I get: egg benediction which we all use if they a put into andres nest??

arnstadt05.jpg

sind siedesteufels das ist zu stark fruhernen groschen und jetzt drei marke

What I get: simmering devil that is too strongly fruhernen groschens and three now mark??

The one of MR Burorkatius can be translated as:

Please Mr. Burorkratius, I need to get double the quantum

I'm hungry like a lion and have the stomach of a cow;

JThen chew again and have some rest

The one of the "Groschen":

Are you angry; That is something

In the old days a penny (A Groschen is an old german coin worth nothing)

And now 3 Mark (Marks are the German valuta before the euro's)

The one of the "eiersegen":

What good are the "egg-blessings". (hard to translate; They mean "having many eggs")

When they only can be found in different nests.

Archived