CoinPeople.com

One heck of an advertisement!

jtryka

So I was reading through the July 25th issue of Coin World, and I generally breeze through the ads, especially the two page spreads by the warehouse operations, but I tend to look for a few ads from companies that sell Saints. Well, at the bottom of page 74, there was an ad from Park Avenue Numismatics, and boy what an ad! I've bought a few Saints from them in the past, and they usually have an outstanding selection. This ad was entitled "The Park Avenue Collection" and they listed one of every business strike of Saint from 1907 through 1932, including the 1927-D in MS-63!!! The had all but the 33, which is quite a feat for a dealer much less a collector. The price for all the coins excluding the 27-D was $967,620. You need to "call" for the price on the 27-D, but I would guess it's in the $2 million range. Ahh...the stuff of dreams!

No, I highly doubt they found a 27-D in Europe, as the only ones released were to collectors back in the 1920s (the mint would sell then to collectors for face value plus postage). There are perhaps 15 known, and most are well pedigreed. There was a recent example certified by NGC, but it was not likey a newly found example, but one that just had never been certified before. Believe me, the 27-D is a very well researched and documented issue. That's not to say there are none in Europe, but in the past, hoards of rare date quickly made their way to market given the premium, and at $2 miilion a piece, a European banker would have to be a complete moron to hold them in their vault as bullion!

Archived