CoinPeople.com

Heads or tails? Euro and Presidential Dollars

Delta

Something I've been thinking about, all input welcome.

Looking at a Euro coin, I would call the standard side heads and the reverse side tails. Would most of you agree? What about countries where the tails side would have a head? Do people there call the reverse heads and the standard side tails?

Similarly with the dollar coins, I would call the Liberty side heads and the side with all the heads tails. :ninja: I suspect others may disagree here.

Have a wee project lined up and while this isn't exactly an important factor it would be nice to see how people consider this.

(((Looking at a Euro coin, I would call the standard side heads and the reverse side tails. Would most of you agree? What about countries where the tails side would have a head? Do people there call the reverse heads and the standard side tails?)))

Basically we are talking about the front and the back.

We all grew up using the 'heads and tails' designation, and will probably always do so.

When I first decided to be a collector I realized I must learn that US coins have an 'Obverse' (the front) and a 'Reverse' (the back). From what I have seen it appears the main subject is on the obverse of the coin and the secondary design is on the reverse. Also, after looking at more coins than I ever thought possible, for the most part the reverse of the coin is usually where the denomination is placed. I have seen coins from other countries that I have no clue as to which is the front or back.

You need to keep in mind that I have only been collecting on a serious basis for about two years. There are probably coins US out there that I have never seen, therefore the rule I mentioned might not be completely accurate.

Good Luck and keep us up to date on your project.

corky

I would say with american coins the side with the prez is the heads (or obverse) and the other is tails...but not to get into it...both euros and most modern american coinage are low relief cheap tokens that make notgeld look like high quality coins.

Archived