CoinPeople.com

1767 em polushka -- another galvano

BKB

I promissed Lenny to post it. Here it is. Impossible to "ping" on a finger due to its size, or, rather, absence thereof. :-) Makes normal sound when dropped on a wood surface. Why would someone do it? -- beats me. I have it for over 10 years. And, it had a score of twins, to which I did not pay attention at the time...

p1050658ry8.jpg

p1050659hs9.jpg

p1050660ct1.jpg

p1050661hi1.jpg

p1050662xq4.jpg

p1050664ks0.jpg

I promissed Lenny to post it. Here it is. Impossible to "ping" on a finger due to its size, or, rather, absence thereof. :-) Makes normal sound when dropped on a wood surface. Why would someone do it? -- beats me. I have it for over 10 years. And, it had a score of twins, to which I did not pay attention at the time...

B.F. Kopylov advertised “galvanoplastic” copies of rare coins in Staraya Moneta

for 1912. They were priced at 10 roubles each but only well-known rare coins, such

as the Yefimoks of 1798, are listed. Perhaps he also did other coins for practice . . . ?

RWJ

BKB, thank you for posting these. The history is as follows, about 15 years ago on one of my forreys to antique store, i struck a conversation with the owner, he pulled out a bunch of old russian coins. One fake Peter I 1 Kopek (definitely fake) and 3 1767 Polushka's . He offered them to me cheap (maybe $1/each). Since polushkas were neither rare nor appeared to be in superior condition, I thought nothing until BKB, who received one from me in a minor trade, brought it-up to my attention and pointed out the edge "split". I haven't the slightest idea of why anyone would reproduce such as fairly common coin and then in such a poor condition. Practice maybe? :ninja:

Archived