CoinPeople.com

Numismatic Halloween

tommyd

I keep saying every year that I'm going to give out coins to those little candy fiends that ring my doorbell every 31st of October (I'm still trying to 'borrow' one of the neighbors' kids as an excuse to partake myself since mine are too old!). So this year, instead of just candy, I busted up a BU roll and mounted 2X2's as follows -- if I can stir the interest of just one kid...

nnpphl.jpg

fc8nqt.jpg

For a few years I gave away extra world banknotes that I had numerous extras of - 1980's Poland and Peru Intis - with the smallest value being 50 adn the largest being 500. They were extreemly cheap, but I thought it would be fun. At first I put them into the wrappers of the small candy bars and later I just put them in with the candy. A couple kids would see the bankntoes go in and notice the denomination and shout 'Cool!' and run back to their parents.

Being what they were, they weren't worth more than a few cents, so I'm certain a few kids were let down with teh high denominations - but it is a cool, unexpected and exotic thing to get with a candy bar. So it's both a trick and a treat!

I was selective to those I gave them out to: Too young and they wouldn't care, too old (teenagers) and they wouldn't care - so I tried to give them out to what I guessed were kids between 7 and 12 years old. It may well have been more fun for me than those recipients, but who knows, I may have perked the interest in a young collector or thier parents.

You're sure to have a few comments and a whole lot of fun yourself! :ninja:

Haloween is dead here, at least in the "Trick or Treat" sense. When I was a kid you couldn't get to the end of the street with a single carrier bag, these days you could go around the town and barely get quarter of a bag! People mainly just hand over cash these days.

Though I guess I could stock up on pound notes just to make it interesting! Not many kids these days will have seen them around.

Haloween is dead here, at least in the "Trick or Treat" sense. When I was a kid you couldn't get to the end of the street with a single carrier bag, these days you could go around the town and barely get quarter of a bag! People mainly just hand over cash these days.

Though I guess I could stock up on pound notes just to make it interesting! Not many kids these days will have seen them around.

Around here, I have to carry extra bags. It gets too heavy for the kids after a little while. Last year we had candy last us well past Christmas, and I was doing my very best to help eliminate it! (when they weren't looknig, of course)

Excellent idea Tommy, unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately) I saw only one kid all night and he was just running past my patio to get home! I didn't have much candy, and I stopped by the store on the way home and they were out, so if any kids did come by they would have gotten coins!

Just think for next year you'll have at least 3 different Lincoln designs that you can hand out at Halloween, maybe 4 depending on when the 4th 2009 cent is released. Then if you hold onto a lot of the 2009 designs you'll can hand them out the following year along with the new 2010 design!

Hey this post reminded me of what I did last year for Christmas shopping. I made sure to spend a good deal of the Presidential dollar coins when shopping. There were a lot of young (teenage age) clerks who seemed to really like them and were surprised to get them. So if you're looking to inspire some more collectors that may be another method of trying.

Hey this post reminded me of what I did last year for Christmas shopping. I made sure to spend a good deal of the Presidential dollar coins when shopping. There were a lot of young (teenage age) clerks who seemed to really like them and were surprised to get them. So if you're looking to inspire some more collectors that may be another method of trying.

That's exactly what I do at work. When I buy rolls of dollars and halves to look through I always switch them out in the register for cash (too heavy!) The kids LOVE it when they get a "big quarter" although some of the time I get one or two back.

That's exactly what I do at work. When I buy rolls of dollars and halves to look through I always switch them out in the register for cash (too heavy!) The kids LOVE it when they get a "big quarter" although some of the time I get one or two back.

I've still got a roll's worth of "big quarters" I have to spend.

• 1 year later...

Very rarely. I do still spend halfs and dollar coins but our store hated having anything like that in the register so I never did any swapouts there.

If you goto my profile here on CoinPeople, you will see me dressed up for Halloween 2008. I gave out paper money and coins to the kids and stock certificates to the adults.

It's about the same as candy. (Stock certificates are more expensive.)

In the past, I dressed up as a pirate and gave out Mardi Gras doubloons: "Arrrr," sez I!

I try to sort the stuff for the range of kids with cuter things like Bylorussia's small notes with animals for the little princesses, and larger coins, Asian notes, etc., for kids old enough to figure them out. The common question is: "Are these real?" The easy answer is "The coin was real money but the country changed."

We also have a dish of candy for just in case.

Mike.... stock certificates? Do elaborate haha.

If you read Numismatic News or Coin World, you see ads for wholesale lots of mixed stock certificates. Realize that these things are even more common than coins, so no matter how cheap they are, they were cheaper to the person who sold them to you. That said, at that level, they are about like candy at 50 or 60 cents each.

Over the years, I have pulled out the ones I liked for myself. So, now I have a collection of scripophily. Like all collections, it takes hold of you. At a show yesterday, I paid the big bucks -- five dollars -- for a bearer bond payable in gold from the Cleveland Short Line Railroad. It completes my "Monopoly" set: B & O, Pennsylvania, Reading, and Short Line.

More about this in the Paper Money topics later.

Archived