CoinPeople.com

Archival Mist

Dave M

There's a product called Archival Mist (http://www.overstock.com/Crafts/Archival-Mist-Aerosol-Spray/3128074/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11255727) that claims it can be used to neutralize acids in paper, reducing aging effects. I have to admit I do worry about some of my older notes when I see age & foxing effects. Has anyone used this, or other methods to neutralize acidic paper money?

Dave

I've never heard of this before. Whiel it sounds interesting, I'd want to know a whole lot more before I started spraying anything. Especially as bankntoes aren't all paper - some are, but a lot are hybrids.

Here's a link to the company websites FAQ: http://www.archivalusa.com/archivalfaq.html

Seems okay, but - - I'd want to try it out on a 'cheap-o' note, one treated and one untreated, leaving them in direct sunlight, expesed to UV, and handled with sweaty hands, maybe even a streak of lemon juice. Then, I'd maybe be more comfortable intreating something with some value. Unless of course it was endorsed by a collectors society such as SPMC or IBNS.

As far as other methods, I only use the common storage and handling procedures found in all the books, websites, etc. adn I try to remember not to eat a powdered sugar-jelly donut when I'm messing with my collection.

I've never heard of this before. Whiel it sounds interesting, I'd want to know a whole lot more before I started spraying anything. Especially as bankntoes aren't all paper - some are, but a lot are hybrids.

I agree, I'd be nervous to just start spraying it away on my banknotes.... was hoping possibly someone on the board had been using it. I notice from the FAQ you posted that they also have a product called Paper Bright which is for UV/light, another possibly useful thing.

As far as other methods, I only use the common storage and handling procedures found in all the books, websites, etc. adn I try to remember not to eat a powdered sugar-jelly donut when I'm messing with my collection.

Well crap, there's my problem! :ninja:

Dave

Archived