CoinPeople.com

Dutch Copper Medal/Coin on Ebay

28Plain

All I can say is it looks very interesting historically... :ninja:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rhode_Island

The Battle of Rhode Island, also known as the Battle of Quaker Hill, took place on August 29, 1778, when units of the Continental Army under the command of John Sullivan attempted to recapture the island of Rhode Island (now known as Aquidneck Island to distinguish it from the state of Rhode Island in which it is located), from British forces. The battle ended inconclusively, but the Continental Army had to give up its goal of capturing the island and securing Narragansett Bay for American and French ship traffic.

Are you certifying that the piece is a genuine Rhode Island ship token? It is a Betts 563 medal and should weigh about 9.83 gms. The brass blanks were typically cast and many show file marks on the edges. I've never really examined any closely, but copies are common.

Ed: I've been watching your token on Ebay and I assume you are selling it as a copy. I see it is about $50 a few hours before closing. An original Rhode Island token in this condition should bring something around $1,000, maybe higher. I assume the bidders are thinking they are getting a steal on an unrecognized original.

• 2 weeks later...
Ed: I've been watching your token on Ebay and I assume you are selling it as a copy. I see it is about $50 a few hours before closing. An original Rhode Island token in this condition should bring something around $1,000, maybe higher. I assume the bidders are thinking they are getting a steal on an unrecognized original.

Sorry I didn't see the responses to this topic until now. I had no idea what this piece is and listed it as a Dutch Copper Medal. It was bought by someone who had no idea what it was and it was returned. It may well be a copy, so I'm not going to relist it until it has been seen by a TPG service. Thanks for all the input.

Archived