CoinPeople.com

Looks like we have a SPAMMER here...

bobh

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setup the forum so each member needs a unique IP address = less trolls and spammers.

Works on the British forums I belong to, possibly time to implement it here, n'est pas?

Setup the forum so each member needs a unique IP address = less trolls and spammers.

Works on the British forums I belong to, possibly time to implement it here, n'est pas?

Well, I'm not sure because many providers assign IP addresses to the client dynamically. Typically, you would have a different IP address every time you connect to the internet.

until we figure out how to do this blocking spammers,

here is a simple idea see spam hit the report button and that way the spam will go bye bye, it may take a while but if the mods know about it they can poof it

and get some more mods for the site

I have access to the Internet from at least 4 different IP addresses. So unique IP address would only allow me to connect from one all 4 computers. I do not like this idea :ninja:

Actually I log in from two or three different IP addresses and it's never been a problem.

The point is that if you get a dozen new members from the same IP address then you may have a spammer.

I'm fine with just hitting the report button... ;)

Well, I'm not sure because many providers assign IP addresses to the client dynamically. Typically, you would have a different IP address every time you connect to the internet.

They do but you can rely on the 3 first numbers of the IP address to remain the same.

You may consider adding CAPTCHA or simply banning external links automatically on your forum.

A SPAMMER (with M) is the Internet equivalent of a guy coming to your club meeting and tells (and most likely annoys) everyone when trying to sell his services (which may have nothing to do with your club).

In reference to SPAM in emails, just think about it as a bunch of fliers for all kinds of uninteresting stuff getting stuck in your mailbox.

Nope ... not with my ISP.

nor with mine. any big ISP with large network spaces won't have that luxury.

you can't really count on the IP number too much (except as described earlier--too many different user requests from the same IP number over a short period of time probably mark spammers).

They do but you can rely on the 3 first numbers of the IP address to remain the same.

You may consider adding CAPTCHA or simply banning external links automatically on your forum.

I connect from different computers with widely varying ip numbers, so you can't rely on ANY of the numbers being the same.

Banning external links would mean banning links to external image sites, which means all images would have to be uploaded to this website (increasing disk space requirements and bandwidth usage for the webmaster).

An alternative possible solution would be requiring all new members to have name, location & phone number verified before posts become publicly visible. This would allow the admins to delete spams before they appear on the board and delete accounts that post spam. There would also be no point in uploading spam or other objectionable/offensive matter because no-one except the admins would ever see it.

An alternative possible solution would be requiring all new members to have name, location & phone number verified before posts become publicly visible. This would allow the admins to delete spams before they appear on the board and delete accounts that post spam. There would also be no point in uploading spam or other objectionable/offensive matter because no-one except the admins would ever see it.

What is the current procedure for someone to join ... is there an e-mail confirmation with activation code sent, or does just signing up make someone a member automatically? Can't remember how it was when I signed up here ... might be different in the meantime, anyway.

What is the current procedure for someone to join ... is there an e-mail confirmation with activation code sent, or does just signing up make someone a member automatically? Can't remember how it was when I signed up here ... might be different in the meantime, anyway.

Same here bobh. I don't remember clearly, having joined a little over 3 years ago (according to the text below my avatar). I think it was just an email confirmation, but could be mistaken on that point.

Ok. Looks like we are now involved in a spammers list and have to suffer from daily attacks. We have to do something right now. Is there an option of turning on a time limit between the posts? Not sure if that's a good idea, but it's the only thing I can think off. Also, how about more moderators from different time zones? I believe majority of our mods are based somewhere in the N. America? Are there any in Europe, Australia?

Hi guys, what's up with all the spammer stuff? I've been gone for a while I see. By the way an RSS feed is feature on your browser that allows you to "subscribe" to the content on a web page. Every time the web page's content is updated (more stuff added) the feed sends it your RSS feed subscription. I probably didn't describe it very well, but I'm not an expert on it either.

Archived