CoinPeople.com

And with this recent acquisition...

Sir Sisu

Congratulations on your typeset of commemoratives. That's a neat accomplishment. Only two more to go the the complete dateset. I'll bet your practically "crazy" to get them and complete the set. Good hunting.

:ninja:

Some time ago I found this coin, I haven't been able to find any information about it, what do you know?

finland10markkaa3oz.jpg

I have come across this somewhere before, but I cannot recall where. :ninja: It is not a legal tender coin. When I find out, I will post here and then you can tell me where you got it. That would make a GREAT pocket piece for myself. ;)

I can give you some details of what the image on this medal means:

The obverse here is describing 3 eras of Finnish coinage (Swedish rule, Russian rule, Independent Finland). 1410 is represented by the top-right seal. This is the presumed date that the first mint in Finland was set up in the city of Turku (Swedish Åbo / Latin Aboa), thus the seal looking like a combined T and A. 1864 is represented by the lower image which is a replica of the obverse of the first 1 markka struck in 1864. 1964 is represented by the upper-left image which also is a replica of a coin first struck that year. Not only was this coin first struck 100 years after the first markka, but it was also the first year of coinage after the monetary reform when two zeros were removed from the value of the markka.

Congratulations on your typeset of commemoratives. That's a neat accomplishment. Only two more to go the the complete dateset. ...

Thanks! It does feel good. ;)

...I'll bet your practically "crazy" to get them and complete the set. Good hunting.

I will have to be a little crazy to get them as they are the most expensive ones left, and very difficult to come across. :ninja:

Thanks! It does feel good.  :lol: 

I will have to be a little crazy to get them as they are the most expensive ones left, and very difficult to come across. :ninja:

I bet the other one is the 500 Markkaa 1951, but I can't imagine another one which would be that rare and expensive. Which is it? Schjerfbeck?

Great accomplishment, congratulations! ;)

EDIT: Oh, now I remembered it, it must be the PROOF Åland you're missing.

Am I correct? ;)

I bet the other one is the 500 Markkaa 1951, but I can't imagine another one which would be that rare and expensive. Which is it? Schjerfbeck?

Great accomplishment, congratulations!  ;)

EDIT: Oh, now I remembered it, it must be the PROOF Åland you're missing.

Am I correct?  ;)

Kiitos kiitos! :ninja:

Yup, you are correct with your edited post. Those are the last 2 holes that I need to fill. And I do not expect to get those filled anytime soon. I get too easily distracted with other coins that interest me to save enough cash for those.

However, I have completed one of my collecting goals that I had set for myself for this year. So now it is off to the next goal.

Congrats Harri! Great accomplishment. I'm a big fan of modern Finnish coin designs.

Who is the guy on the obverse?

It is Johan V. Snellman. He is popularly (yet inaccurately) known as the "Father of the Finnish Markka". That title actually belongs to a man named Fabian Langenskiöld. He did the footwork in securing Finland's own monetary unit. Snellman's association with the markkaa comes from the significant reforms that he won from Russia in 1865.

Nice coin! Who is the guy? Simon Bolivar of Finland?  ;) Looks like...

Not exactly Bolivar, no. :ninja: I feel a bit lazy with writing so check the Wiki for his bio.

I have come across this somewhere before, but I cannot recall where. :ninja:  It is not a legal tender coin. When I find out, I will post here and then you can tell me where you got it. That would make a GREAT pocket piece for myself. ;)

I wish I had it.. the coin was won by a friend on ebay some months ago, I just have the image ;)

I wish I had it.. the coin was won by a friend on ebay some months ago, I just have the image :ninja:

Too bad. Did it cost a healthy sum?

Anyhow, I do know that this was made by the Mint of Finland, but I cannot recall in what manner it was issued and for what reason.

Archived