CoinPeople.com

Armavir

alexbq2

I couldn't find much about Armavir coins in my references. Rylov & Soblin lists 2 varieties of the 3 rouble Armavir coin. The fist is on a larger planchet and has initials J3 under the eagle's tail. The second is on a smaller planchet and has J3 under the eagles claws (paws, talons?). I seem to have found one on a small planchet but with J3 under the tail. Is this a known variety?

I couldn't find much about Armavir coins in my references. Rylov & Soblin lists 2 varieties of the 3 rouble Armavir coin. The fist is on a larger planchet and has initials J3 under the eagle's tail. The second is on a smaller planchet and has J3 under the eagles claws (paws, talons?). I seem to have found one on a small planchet but with J3 under the tail. Is this a known variety?

Krause's catalogue mentions of two types for the 3 Ruble coin (regular issue). KM#2.1- Copper-28mm-Monogram below tail. It also mentions that varieties exist for this. KM#2.2-Copper-28mm-Monogram below claw. There is also supposed to be two patterns for the 3 Ruble coin. Pn4-Copper-31mm-Monogram under tail. Pn5-Silver.

I have a 5 Ruble coin for this region. Here's the image. Does your specimen look similar to this?

Armavir5Ruble1918.jpg

ARMAVIR- 5 Ruble 1918

Thank you DJB! Does Krause make any rarity distinction between the varieties of the 28 mm issue?

953425.jpg

No problem. According to Krause's catalogue, KM#2.2 (Monogram below claw) is the rarer of the two. Also, the specimen for KM#2.1 in the catalogue shows 3 star marks below the tail where as your specimen shows only one. This might be the variety difference they mentioned. Other than a difference in the numerics, and size between the 1,3 and 5 Ruble coins, the patterns seem to be identical. By the way, that's a sweet looking specimen you got there. Nice detailing and toning. Thanks for posting this. :ninja:

Funny how you mention this and a counterfeit appears on the market. I have never seen such counterfeit before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=380073942372

I noticed this one too. I figured it was either fake or at the very least, suspect. Either way, it's an ugly looking coin.

• 10 months later...

Here is one of my recent aquisitions. This is a 3 Ruble (Type 1) coin from Armavir. I won this on an Ebay auction.

Armavir3RubleType11918.jpg

ARMAVIR 3 Ruble (Type 1) 1918

Here is one of my recent aquisitions. This is a 3 Ruble (Type 1) coin from Armavir. I won this on an Ebay auction.

I cannt see 2 letters under eage, are there 2 you can see? :ninja:

[snip]

The eagle design would actually be of Type 2 (Bitkin 7). However, as one-kuna pointed out, there should also be two letters "J3" under the tail (unless it is Bitkin 8-R2, where the same letters would be under the claws).

Could it be there is yet another variety of Type 2 without letters? Aside from that, the shape of the digit "9" looks strange to me. I would be careful here!

The eagle design would actually be of Type 2 (Bitkin 7). However, as one-kuna pointed out, there should also be two letters "J3" under the tail (unless it is Bitkin 8-R2, where the same letters would be under the claws).

Could it be there is yet another variety of Type 2 without letters? Aside from that, the shape of the digit "9" looks strange to me. I would be careful here!

I have a catalog 'Russian & Soviet Coins' 1993 by Rylov/Sobolin. It shows two types for the 3 Ruble coins (regular issue). Type 1, has ' * ' under the wing feathers. Type 2, has ' *** ' and what appears to be intials under the wing feathers. As for the '9', the bottom of the digit has a slight ding mark in it, thus causing the weird appearance in the photo. I'm pretty sure this coin is okay. The 1 Ruble coins however are ones that you need to be careful of because these are notorious for being counterfeited. In the last year on Ebay, I've seen about five 1 Ruble specimens being auctioned off. Of the five only one looked authentic and it went for $600+ on the closing bid.

I have a catalog 'Russian & Soviet Coins' 1993 by Rylov/Sobolin. It shows two types for the 3 Ruble coins (regular issue). Type 1, has ' * ' under the wing feathers. Type 2, has ' *** ' and what appears to be intials under the wing feathers. As for the '9', the bottom of the digit has a slight ding mark in it, thus causing the weird appearance in the photo. I'm pretty sure this coin is okay. The 1 Ruble coins however are ones that you need to be careful of because these are notorious for being counterfeited. In the last year on Ebay, I've seen about five 1 Ruble specimens being auctioned off. Of the five only one looked authentic and it went for $600+ on the closing bid.

This is one of those times when it pays to read a little Russian. The illustrations in Rylov/Sobolin (on p. 222) were unfortunately switched ... the obverse/reverse pairing "A/a" says in the description: "большой кружок, Ј.З. под хвостом орла" which means: "Large planchet, J.3. under eagle's tail". However, the illustrations at A/a are obviously of the smaller planchet, i.e. type 2.

Here are the descriptions in Bitkin:

Type 1:

Bitkin_Type_1.jpg

Type 2:

Bitkin_Type_2.jpg

As you can see, the letters of the legend extend much farther below the tail feathers in the Type 2 coin, very much like your coin. However, the letters do seem to be missing entirely. According to Bitkin, the variety with J.3. under the claws is a very rare sub-variety of type 2, whereas Rylov lists it as the normal (only) type 2 variety.

This is one of those times when it pays to read a little Russian. The illustrations in Rylov/Sobolin (on p. 222) were unfortunately switched ... the obverse/reverse pairing "A/a" says in the description: "большой кружок, Ј.З. под хвостом орла" which means: "Large planchet, J.3. under eagle's tail". However, the illustrations at A/a are obviously of the smaller planchet, i.e. type 2.

Here are the descriptions in Bitkin:

Type 1:

Bitkin_Type_1.jpg

Type 2:

Bitkin_Type_2.jpg

As you can see, the letters of the legend extend much farther below the tail feathers in the Type 2 coin, very much like your coin. However, the letters do seem to be missing entirely. According to Bitkin, the variety with J.3. under the claws is a very rare sub-variety of type 2, whereas Rylov lists it as the normal (only) type 2 variety.

Thanks for the info 'bobh'. I saw that Krause's catalog listed the 3 star as Type 1 as well. My specimen measures between 27.5-28 mm. It gets a little confusing sometimes when dealing with coin varieties.

I cannt see 2 letters under eage, are there 2 you can see? :ninja:

Looking at the reference material that 'bobh' submitted, then checking the coin with a magnifying lense, I did find two small initials 'J3'under the wing feathers. The letters, however are weak, so it doesn't show up in the photo. This is either due to weak striking or wear.

Archived