KoRnholio

Found in circulation by one of my parents:

bad%20loonie%20-%20rev.JPG

bad%20loonie%20-%20obv.JPG

bad%20loonie%20-%20obv2.JPG

In contrast to the real thing:

good%20loonie%20-%20rev.JPG

good%20loonie%20-%20obv.JPG

Pretty bad fake once you take a second to look at it in half decent light. My pictures show more grey/missing areas in the lustre than there really are, but the details are oh so bad. The loon's beak is at the wrong angle, the lettering is different and the queen looks like an evil witch with massive lips and very odd hairlines. Weighed it as soon as I got home and it's about 0.6g light, nearly 10%.

and the queen looks like an evil witch with massive lips and very odd hairlines.

And your point is? Sorry, could not resist that, how very childish of me I know.

I guess we will have to check the nickels and dimes next. What would possess someone to fake a canadian dollar, what a total waste of effort!

And your point is? Sorry, could not resist that, how very childish of me I know.

I guess we will have to check the nickels and dimes next. What would possess someone to fake a canadian dollar, what a total waste of effort!

they could practice on dollor coins and move to rarer coins

From what I've heard and read, these fakes were made by a man in Alberta who was caught by the RCMP fairly soon after he started circulating these pieces.

I think the RCM's cost to make a loonie is about 6 or 7 cents. So even if he could make these fakes for 50 cents each, he is still technically showing a profit. Definitely not worth getting caught over it though.

Here's a couple more links on counterfeits of $1 and $2 Canadian coins:

http://www.londonfreepress.ca/cgi-bin/publ...?p=240313&s

http://www.mackaymeters.com/Home/NewsArtic...93/Default.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw one of these at my local coin show last month. It was in better condition (nearly all it's lustre remaining), housed in a cardboard 2x2 stapled together with a genuine loonie of the same year.

The price tag? A super deal at $120! I couldn't believe that price. I didn't ask the dealer why so much, just let him know matter of factly that I have one and I don't think it's worth much at all :ninja:

• 1 month later...

Archived