CoinPeople.com

San Marino Monetary History Pre 1862

jlueke

San Marino came into existence in the early 4th century AD and apparently didn't strike coins until 1864. Are there any locale specific tokens or other items of exonumia that exist? Did the people there just use whatever money was convenient?

Before Italy was founded in 1861, Emilia-Romagna and Marche (the regions surrounding San Marino) were parts of the Papal States (Stato Pontificio). So I assume that San Marino primarily used that "papal money". Guess that the scudo coins which SM still issues (as collector pieces) are a reference to those times ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States_scudo

Side note: The Alliance and Trade Treaty with Italy (1862) allowed San Marino to issue its own lira coins (Convenzione Monetaria, suspended between 1939 and 1972) and have them minted in Italy. But at that time Rome was not part of the Kingdom of Italy yet, and the pieces were produced elsewhere - Milan, I think. The SM lire coins were legal tender in IT and vice versa.

Christian

I suppose they just used whatever money was handy and perhaps being very rural they didn't have a need for a lot of hard money anyway. It would be cool though if they had minted something 1000 years ago.

Archived