CoinPeople.com

1924 kopek - reeded / un-reeded confusion

gxseries

I have been checking ebay from time to time and I see there are descriptions of 1924 kopek of different denomination with reeded and or un-reeded edge. Does that mean that there is a total of 8 possible combinations, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 5 kopek in both reeded and un-reeded edge? :ninja:

yes. 1 and 2 are rare with plain edge. 3 and 5 are rare with reeded edge. As to possible "combinations" there are at least 4 to 8 distinct die variations in every denomination. Collectors of Soviet coins are insane. :-) They actually count the number of edge lines like stamp collectors...

They actually count the number of edge lines like stamp collectors...

It's just annoying that the people on eBay don't do that - imagine how wonderful my life would be if they did :ninja:

Yea but how do you count the number of corrugations?! :ninja:

Mostly I just compare two coins to see the possible differences on their edges ;)

I believe that the real gurus have a more sophisticated way to determine varieties

Mostly I just compare two coins to see the possible differences on their edges ;)

I believe that the real gurus have a more sophisticated way to determine varieties

Dip the coin's edge in ink, roll it edge-wise along a piece of paper one full rotation, count the lines!

Use extremely caustic solution to clean the edge of the coin afterwards :ninja:

;) Thedeadpoint, that's an extremely destructive way of counting the corrugations. ;)

There is a good reason why I'm looking of ways to count the number of corrugations.

These "pattern" planchets seem to highly indicate that they are possible prototype by Moscow Mint, which would be VERY rare.

901678.jpg

And yes, just in case you are wondering, the edge IS reeded like what a normal gold coin would be. It would be nice to buy a Russian or Soviet gold coin and compare the number of corrugations but considering how bloody hot prices are these days, that's out of the option :ninja: Detail wise, I'm quite convinced that they are indeed prototypes but haven't got the resource to figure out any additional information. I bought some Russian numismatic related journals dated around that era but there was no information. ;)

Dip the coin's edge in ink, roll it edge-wise along a piece of paper one full rotation, count the lines!

Use extremely caustic solution to clean the edge of the coin afterwards ;)

:ninja:

Use extremely caustic solution to clean the edge of the coin afterwards :ninja:

How about this somewhat less invasive method ... place a sheet of carbon copy paper, the kind they used to use in typewriters to make copies (do they still sell this stuff anywhere? ;) ) face down on a sheet of white paper, then roll the coin over the carbon paper? ;)

I was thinking of using blu-tack, you know those that you use on the wall to put notes? Something like chewing gum but it doesn't leave any ugly stains. After I'm done, I reckon I can use acetone to get rid of any fingerprints around the thin planchets. Sad thing is, I don't have them with me at the moment as they are in another country :ninja:

Already off topic as usual ;)

Nevertheless, guys do post your 1924 kopek, I'm sure there's plenty around this forum. Thanks for writing BKB, I'll look out for them when I get a chance to do so.

943428.jpg

I still haven't photographed my 5 kopek as I have been busy packing ;)

It's in this lot here, not fantastic as it has crud stuff on it.

oct08lotnf9.jpg

I was thinking of using blu-tack, you know those that you use on the wall to put notes? Something like chewing gum but it doesn't leave any ugly stains. After I'm done, I reckon I can use acetone to get rid of any fingerprints around the thin planchets. Sad thing is, I don't have them with me at the moment as they are in another country ;)

I'm glad everyone got my sarcasm :ninja:

Anywho, I'm legitimately interested in how everyone counts the reeds. Impressions on soft clay? I'd probably lay the coin on a piece of paper, make a mark at one reed (on the paper) and focus on counting every reed all the way around (or a variant on that method).

Archived