CoinPeople.com

Who's ordering the Marine Corps commem?

Guest Stujoe

Guest Stujoe

I heard some people had problems but I seemed to get right in about 5 minutes before I posted. That is unusual as the mint site was not working at all for me there for a while.

I stopped ordering the commems a couple years back and will sell off the ones I have one of these days.

I remember reading somewhere they were going to do a railroad commem, that I would buy, but I've not read anything about it since.

I can't view the page right now but what are the prices on the coin? I want to get myself one as well as my Uncle (retired Marine).

Die-hard Marine who was forced into retirement only two months before the war with Iraq. Talk about a dumb mistake.....

i ordered one of each this evening. don't know why everyone had to order this morning ... it's not like they're not going to mint eleventy billion of them! the secretary of the treasury just (recently) raised the mintage limit on these ...

I too ordered some of the sets. I will admit I am hoping for a complete and total sell out in a very short time. Yes profit is my motive in this. I believe that while the sleeping giant of retired and active marines as a group may not be aware of this coins release, when the mass of them do learn of it it will be desired and sought out. Anyway, that is my theory and I am sticking with it.

I placed my orders for both, but they say they are backordered until 10/20/2005.   :ninja:

That is because we are in a "pre-issue" pricing time. The web site says that from July 20th to August 22nd is pre-issue order time.

I believe the Mint has shifted to a produce to existing orders business model in an effort to maximize their profit margin. They are only striking to orders received, that way they do not have to melt back down the coins that were not purchased.

It will be interesting to see how this commem fairs with orders, since the Secretary of the Treasury did indeed raise the strikes from 500,000 to 600,000 total.

They also are making a set called the American Legacy Collection which is proof versions of all US Mint 2005 coins and the proof versions of Chief Justice John Marshall silver Dollar and the Marine Corps 230th Anniversary Silver Dollar. A limit of 100,000 sets at a price of $135 each.

I just ordered one for myself.

That is because we are in a "pre-issue" pricing time. The web site says that from July 20th to August 22nd is pre-issue order time.

I believe the Mint has shifted to a produce to existing orders business model in an effort to maximize their profit margin. They are only striking to orders received, that way they do not have to melt back down the coins that were not purchased.

This is not that new. They have been doing this for over a decade at least.

This system has made for some interesting fluctuations with the total mintage figures for some issues. In that sense I like it. I also collect Finnish commems, and normally whatever the Finance Ministry places the cap at, the Mint will produce to that limit. So there are seldom any surprises in the total mintage amount.

I ordered 5 of the uncirculated version, one for me and one each for my 2 boys. The other 2 are to sell at some point. I think this will be a hot commem in the future.

I will probably order one of the unc version before the discount deadline, but I just think this is a dumb commemorative. Don't get me wrong, I think the marines are very much a worth topic for a commem, but to me celebrating the 230th anniversary of something seems stupid. Yesterday was the 36th anniversary of the moon landing, why not a coin for that? 2005 is also the 189th anniversary of Indiana's statehood, why not a commem for that? It's just stupid. Even so, I like the design and I'll buy one, but I fear we are starting to tread back on that road to meaningless commems, similar to the early 1990s, and even worse, similar to the chaos that destroyed the classis commem program leaving us with no commems for almost 3 decades!

... but I fear we are starting to tread back on that road to meaningless commems, similar to the early 1990s, and even worse, similar to the chaos that destroyed the classis commem program leaving us with no commems for almost 3 decades!

(Glancing through the Redbook) Oh I believe not only has that road been reached, but we have been travelling on it for quite some time already. :ninja:

Unfortunately I have already become so accustomed to the fact that a worthy and timely person/event to commemorate is the exception and not the rule, that I just buy the coins for the looks.

I just checked my account at the U.S. Mint and it now says that all the items I ordered are scheduled to be shipped on 8/6/2005. That is a large move from the original posting of 10/20/2005 ship date. Sounds good to me! :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

I guess I look at it as commemorating the event, person, object and not the number of years since the event, person, object happned, was born or created. I have always thought it was kind of stupid and arbitrary to celebrate 150 years or 200 years or whatever. It is really that significant that it has been 200 years as opposed to 199 or 201 just because it ends in a 00 (woo hoo)? Why should we have to wait until some 'special' number ending in 25 or 50 or 00 comes up to commemorate something that is worthy?

Archived