CoinPeople.com

Cleaning Coins

kevin m

"Never clean a coin" Well the reality is most coins have some form of cleaning done. I was recently told that Copper coins can be cleaned with "Vaseline" has anyone heard of this? Is this an acceptable thing to do?

I have tried it, & it works really well. should I continue? Or is this frowned upon by coin experts out there?

Soap and water to remove dirt shouldn't ever cause any problems as long as you aren't rubbing the coin too hard.

I've tried the Vaseline method on a silver coin that had some green junk (PVC contamination) and it didn't work at all.

On an old GB halfpenny that had some PVC contamination (kind of a thin grayish green layer) I let it soak in rubbing alcohol, then cleaned with soap and water. It turned out a little better than it was before. I used the only rubbing alcohol I could find (60%) which apparently isn't as good as the higher % alcohol stuff.

• 3 months later...

Someone mentioned to me that cleaning dirt off with the olive oil give it a bit of a luster. I tried on a couple of older bronze - 1861 Jersey and 1884 Straits Settlements. Jersey half penny got sybstantially shinier and nice gloss although it looks cleaned now. Not a big loss since it has a bit of verdigri anyway. Straits quarter cent got most of the dirt soaked away but it did not change the color of the coin.

I use acetone or Xylol (xylene) to remove PVC contamination and "biologicals" (finger oils, etc.) but I would not use anything else under any circumstances. I have seen where olive oil loosens crud which can then be removed manually, but I would be afraid of scratching the coin's surface.

• 1 month later...

Toutchy subject? I jus stay away from coins that look cleaned, or buy them for bullion prices. The problem is that you got people that dont know a thing bout coins or toning, dunking their grampa's inherited coin collection in silver cleaner to make em look shiny. This kills it imo!

Archived