CoinPeople.com

Error or Trial Piece

onekram

This past spring, I posted an Image of my coin 1873, on this forum.

The coin I sent to the coin dealer for a value & written description of the coin is not the same coin I received.

The coin dealer requested an image of the coin I sent him and the coin I received. His response to my e-mail was the image of my 1873 coin image of both sides of the coin. Whereas the coin I received he presented only one side of the coin, stating that the coin sent is the same coin using an arrow as display.

When posting the images on the forum I used his images of the coins he sent back to me by e-mail. This was my mistake.

The image of this coin was posted on the coin forum in May 2008. Title; Error-Trial Piece, Experimental coin with Designs abnormalities.

This is my error, by not posting both sides of coin received 1873 with new scans images from my computer of the coin received rather than using the e-mail image of one the coin dealer sent me being one side.

I spent the past months showing the e-mail image of the coin sent, compared to the coin received to coin collectors in my area. They are not qualified to write up the difference of the needed description of the 2 different coins. Encouraged by these coin collectors not to give up on the issue of receiving the wrong coin.

Humbly Requesting a written description of the coin sent (vs) Coin received too finally put this issue to rest. Unable to determine if coin sent is an experimental coin, error or trial piece based upon the characteristics of the coin it self.

Notice the image of the two dark coins in comparison to each other with the arrow pointing out the “markings” on the face of the coin this image was received by e-mail color & tone was added.

I printed large copy of the 2 coin image I received by e-mail. Local coin dealer compared it to each other, then compared the coin in my hand. He noticed the printed image was made to look like the original coin sent. Also pointed out that the color & tone of the coin in question is being passed off as if it is the same coin sent, which it is not the same coin. He finally compared the markings on BOTH SIDES of the coin that raised more questions.

From his response I scan the questioned coin again that I received from the coin dealer also had digital pictures made and compared them to each other for further comparison. The markings on the backside of coin are 100% different. Also the e-mail image of the two coin pointing out on the face of the coin with the arrow pointing to each marking on the coin reveals one coin with an oblique marking on the other coin has a vertical marking in the secondary field on the coin.

The neckline of the coins are different as well as the digits spacing, thickness of digit 1 do not match. The digits have different design characteristics also placement of the digits are not the same.

For example on the lighter coin digit 7 is larger than the digit 8. Digit 3 is much thicker than the digit 3 on the darker coin. Lighter coin digit 1 is thicker with no base line, compared to the darker coin the digit 1 is thinner with a base line bottom. Digit 7 on the lighter coin has a center crown with a more pronounce teardrop bottom. Finally notice the darker coin received is in better condition VF you can read the headband (Liberty) but on the lighter coin in F condition you are not able to read the head band.

I took these new scans of the “coin received” for the image to be posted on the coin forum so that the Image received by e-mail to be compared to the scan of the coin itself I have in hand. Notice the markings on the coin received are not the same coin.

The darker coin is the coin I received. The lighter coin is the coin sent.

Please look at “onekram 10 images” This is my scan of the original coin received.

Please do not confuse the image crop with “onekram Album of 20 images”. This is the E-mail image used that the coin dealer sent to me that I placed on coin forums. I crop the image to reflect the difference in the size of the digits / date.

If you have any questions! At your request will send you larger image of scan and or digital image of coin received by e-mail or US post for your comparison. What I received is different to the coin I sent. Please advise the “SIZE” of the Image of the coin to send by e-mail.

Please forward your findings to another2@prodigy.net

Thank you for your time.

onekram

http://photobucket.com/onekram

http://photobucket.com/onekram

This post seemed very familiar, so I checked your other posts and saw that you have run into this problem before. Sounds like you aren't having very good lucking mailing coins to "reputable" dealers for assessment. I'd suggest posting on forums like this one with pics before sending your coins on perilous journeys through the mail system and other pairs of hands.

Anyone skilled in the art can make a duplicate “surface markings” on any coin with today’s current technology.

As for the “condition of this coin” such as the “digit / date location etc” and Headband “liberty” on this coin; this is a strong indication of (coin counterfeit) who is unable to deviate from that perspective of details.

Approach the coin on this aspect before jumping into the fire with everyone else stating “same coin”.

When in Fact the coin sent in “about fine condition” when received the different coin it’s in “Very Fine condition”?

This is as simple as I can get when trying to make my point.

Thank you for your time.

onekram

Listen onekram, you sent the coin in question to the most respected dealer who handles indian cents-----Rick Snow of Eagle Eye Rare Coins.

It is the same coin, as you have been told by many people on many different forums.

Anyone skilled in the art can make a duplicate “surface markings” on any coin with today’s current technology.

As for the “condition of this coin” such as the “digit / date location etc” and Headband “liberty” on this coin; this is a strong indication of (coin counterfeit) who is unable to deviate from that perspective of details.

Approach the coin on this aspect before jumping into the fire with everyone else stating “same coin”.

When in Fact the coin sent in “about fine condition” when received the different coin it’s in “Very Fine condition”?

This is as simple as I can get when trying to make my point.

Thank you for your time.

onekram

I AM skilled in art. I am a trained jeweler and sculptor with several awards and numerous showings. Duplicating surface markings on a surface as small as a coin, in exact fashion as you claim is next to impossible. There are about a dozen different elements to a bag mark and a surface nick that cannot be duplicated by even the most steadied hands. Depth of the impression, breadth of the mark, displaced metal, all of these things are easily seen on marks made in metal and would be especially obvious on a coin, something we are very familiar with. It sounds like you are fooling yourself into thinking you have a different coin, its something you should just let go and admit you may be mistaken. We all do this, take a picture of a coin in different lighting and have a look, it vastly changes how the coin looks. Even Heritage Auction Gallery uses this technique in larger auctions. The will have a photo of the coin, and a scan and they look completely different. The condition also appears different per picture. Check it out yourself. WWW.HA.COM

Archived