CoinPeople.com

DODD Merchant card with a repunched "D" over and "O"

Very interesting find...........

According to Rulau's book on tokens 4th edition he describes it as:

a Remnant of "O" "D" repunched on top of an "O"

The description is for the headband where the letter DODD appear

Wesley Cox deduced that the error was made, and corrected by Hayden at Scovill Mfg. Co. in 1850-51 period. After this

token was struck. Cox deduces that the major letter style occurred at Scovill in 1852.

The rest of the story is shown below in a copy from Rulau's book.

I have found the copper error and now it looks like I found the brass one!

2 great finds:)

7b22565d.jpg

077eec74.jpg

5ca43de7.jpg

d741819b-1.jpg

Rulau expanded on this piece in the December 2007 TAMS Journal. The brass reeded edge piece has another variety with the reverse lettering doubled (most prominent in DD & Co). I can't quite tell from your photo, but it looks like this might be your variety.

Rulau expanded on this piece in the December 2007 TAMS Journal. The brass reeded edge piece has another variety with the reverse lettering doubled (most prominent in DD & Co). I can't quite tell from your photo, but it looks like this might be your variety.

Thanks so much for pointing that out to me :ninja: The only book I have is Rulau's 4th edition.

I took some images. Would you give me your opinion please.It looks doubled to me but not sure.

I want to send this in to NGC and want to make sure of the number .

The color is off but it is brass and reeded.

3198fdf8.jpg

916faad0.jpg

e3739e45.jpg

84479be5.jpg

It appears to be the variety you thought it was. The doubling on DODD on the reverse is very pronounced (offset to the right) in the Rulau photographs. In either event, you've got an exceptionally nice piece, scarce in nice condition according to Rulau.

The only book I have is Rulau's 4th edition.

Given the quality of tokens you are acquiring, I suspect you would appreciate the standard and historic works on civil war tokens and store cards. I only have Rulau myself, but I buy the early references for the areas I do collect. One caution, once you get started, you'll be committed. In the long run, I think you would benefit from a good library given the eye you are exercising in acquiring items for your collection. You might be interested in some organizations like the ANA and the Token and Medal Society as well.

It appears to be the variety you thought it was. The doubling on DODD on the reverse is very pronounced (offset to the right) in the Rulau photographs. In either event, you've got an exceptionally nice piece, scarce in nice condition according to Rulau.

Thank you so very much for your help. I would have never known if it wasn't for you :ninja:

Would you know the catalog number so I can submit to NGC and make sure that they get it right:)

Also care to throw out a rough price as to its value?

Archived