CoinPeople.com

The end of price craziness?

alexbq2

The lesson so far seems to be that investment in the Russian Stock market 2 Years ago has lost quite a bit. That same investment in rare Russian numismatics has held strong. Coins will continue to be vacuumed back to the Rodina. This is my uneducated opinion.

Not only that, but people who are losing money in the stock market will be looking for places to reinvest whatever money they take out of that, and things like gold and silver as well as rare coins still look like good investments.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Investors are complete idiots as well as being selfish. Last time when I had a friend who does stocks talked about how oil price should hit over 200USD because of demand, I was angry as it was pure speculation. It was the common people that suffered. People couldn't afford to run their cars, prices of EVERYTHING rose, and oops, first thing people lost was their home. Oh wait, we can STILL buy more things going bankrupt! How fantastic!! It's called credit!!! No wait, banks aren't magical afterall.

There are things where investors should just back off completely. To be honest, the whole thing of prices going up was nothing but a scam. Sure, prices of metal / stock might have gone up and investors are bloody happy but there is always someone that loses in the game. Not many won from it.

Anyways being sidetracked, I don't believe it's realistic that prices of all Russian coins are going up. There are some that have went down, in particular the low grade coins. Sure, the high grade coins will be in strong demand but what do investors expect? More than 10% per annum on everything? That would be bloody fantastic but unreal. Really, it would be nice that they knew what they are buying but some can't be bothered as long as they can get their hands on something for their portfolio. :ninja:

Not only that, but people who are losing money in the stock market will be looking for places to reinvest whatever money they take out of that, and things like gold and silver as well as rare coins still look like good investments.

About 15 months ago , I had a courage to predict price drop (or, at least, stagnation) for Russian material in the fall of 2007.

I should admit, I was wrong . It's happenning in the fall of 2008.

About 15 months ago , I had a courage to predict price drop (or, at least, stagnation) for Russian material in the fall of 2007.

I should admit, I was wrong . It's happenning in the fall of 2008.

Oldman, you should close your prediction business. :ninja:

I am in Munich right now. When they will become available, check out the results of Gorny sale.

The price drop was cancelled. (At the same time check the results of Palombo and Kunker).

I am in Munich right now. When they will become available, check out the results of Gorny sale.

The price drop was cancelled. (At the same time check the results of Palombo and Kunker).

Looked at the Künker auction; anything a bit nice sold for between three and 10 times estimates. The Swedish Avesta mint 5k went for EU115,000!!! Must be a record for a copper coin.

There weren't a lot of super coins in the auction, but the nicest coins went for almost 10 times the estimate, so it looks like there are still some folks with money looking for Russian coins.

Marv Finnley

... check out the results of Gorny sale. The price drop was cancelled.

I also see prices on Russian coins are sliding a bit, especially on common material, medium grades, and common dates. No need to look at Gorny auction results to know this.

WCO

Igors,

thanks for pointing out to the Gorny and other auctions. I am very well aware of them and the results do not contrudict with my idea at all.

Igors,

thanks for pointing out to the Gorny and other auctions. I am very well aware of them and the results do not contrudict with my idea at all.

I believe that rare coins in decent condition continue to climb the price chart, while the more common coins in average condition are not (at auction). On ebay, on the other hand, average material brings abnormal prices. Even damaged coins sell better than same coins in better condition 2 years ago. I do not know about a price drop... But, I hope you are right and we would be able to buy great stuff at 2001 price level. I am all for it. :ninja:

Igors,

Oldman, I probably misunderstood your idea. If you were talking about medium-low to low grade coins, then you are absolutely correct. Based on the auctions I mentioned earlier very nice coins are still going up. At Gorny I wanted to buy a nice 1734 Anna rouble. Well, it went for 15000 EURO!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone comprehend that? Not me. :ninja:

Oldman, I probably misunderstood your idea. If you were talking about medium-low to low grade coins, then you are absolutely correct. Based on the auctions I mentioned earlier very nice coins are still going up. At Gorny I wanted to buy a nice 1734 Anna rouble. Well, it went for 15000 EURO!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone comprehend that? Not me. :ninja:

;) I hoped it would go for up to 5000 euros !

Where can I see the results of this auction?

Remember, it just takes TWO people who have lots of money and really want something to drive the price up; OR it could be a seller's "representative" who is covering the coins at the auction.

99% of the people at the auction may not want the coin at those prices, but if only two do, you will have very strong prices, and with nice material, it's apparent, after looking at the Maison Palombo auction, that there are still at least two rich collectors who want nice coins and can afford it. When there are no longer two people, then prices will come down. My guess is, that time will not come for a while. If the economy really slows down, and you have a few auctions of very nice material that don't achieve high prices, then perhaps gradually prices overall will moderate, but it's going to take a while until people are convinced that Russian coins are not that desirable anymore.

If I were going to sell my very high end Russian coins today, I would want to make sure that the "right" people are bidding on them, i.e., get them to the right auction house that has the rich clientele.

Marv Finnley

$22,000 for an AU 1886 Rouble?? (lot 8842)

That price does seem rather steep.

Yet it is followed by 2 more examples in roughly similar condition which brought about one-fifth or so of that amount.

Maybe that one is a rare variety? I see nothing that is that special about it, so what am I missing?

Yet it is followed by 2 more examples in roughly similar condition which brought about one-fifth or so of that amount.

Maybe that one is a rare variety? I see nothing that is that special about it, so what am I missing?

The 1886 Large Head rouble is scarce but they do show up from time to time. On

the other hand the Small Head variety is an extreme rarity. For 1887 the Small Head

version is rare though not so much as the 1886 Small Head.

It took me several years to find the 1887 Small Head but I never found the 1886 with

this head.

RWJ

The 1886 Large Head rouble is scarce but they do show up from time to time. On

the other hand the Small Head variety is an extreme rarity. For 1887 the Small Head

version is rare though not so much as the 1886 Small Head.

It took me several years to find the 1887 Small Head but I never found the 1886 with

this head.

RWJ

Thank you for the reply. I collect more by design type and not so much by die variety, so I probably miss things that leap off the page to others.

Yeah. What are we ALL missing here? What is so special about this particular coin?

Archived