CoinPeople.com

Lipstick on a coin - it's still the same coin

marv

Marv, are you thinking in terms of the details (i.e. sharpness of the strike)?

If so, then you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Shtirlic's coin is an 1828, but the auction coin is 1831.

IIRC, the dies were adjusted to bring out more detail in later dates. I think there's a thread about it here somewhere.

I know they're different dates, and perhaps the central shield relief was reduced a bit to "shield" it, so one would have to judge by luster on the high points and fields and marks. Dies could get severly worn with the large mintages of the later dates of the rouble wings down series. I don't know how often they created new dies. There was an article in the JRNS about rouble die life during this time where the writer drew conclusions based on US die life during the same time period. I'll have to try to find it.

Since I own an 1826, I tend to focus on that date. I'm trying to draw some conclusions about number of dies based on other 1826s that come on the scene. Right now, there is one in the forthcoming NYINC auction, a proof 64, that I'm waiting to examine the high resolution pictures of on the heritage website. It's not there yet. I'm not sure if special dies were created for proofs, or if they used the same dies, just ran off the proofs before they started with the regular coinage.

With the short Wings Down series, I think its easier to feel like one can get one's arms around the subject; with the later series, there are so many dates and dies (tail feathers, etc.). Bob Julian did a good job in condensing that down. But even though it's a short series, I think the Wings Down series still has some room for research.

Marv Finnley

Archived