CoinPeople.com

Opinions on rare Mary groat

NumisMattic2200

I'd grade roughly around the fine mark, these are not worth anywhere near Spink prices in my experience. You have a nice one there though Matt!! How much did you pay may I ask?

Do you have any more, there are often quite a few on eBay? Through eBay I have managed to acquire 2 Mary groats and 3 Philip and Mary Groats, setting myself a maximum limit that is ridiculously low.

Good to see hammereds on this forum, congrats Matt!

Clive, there should be more coming! (hammereds in general, not Mary Groats).. I have decided to focus my attention on the real coins as they are a lot more varied and mysterious and of course old which makes them totally imbued with history - they are also a lot of fun seeing what they might go for in auctions if and when I come to selling them. This one was 14.00 quid in total.

Clive, there should be more coming! (hammereds in general, not Mary Groats).. I have decided to focus my attention on the real coins as they are a lot more varied and mysterious and of course old which makes them totally imbued with history - they are also a lot of fun seeing what they might go for in auctions if and when I come to selling them. This one was 14.00 quid in total.

A good price for that! :ninja:

Glad to hear! Be sure to share them with us and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

At some point I will take 'real' photos of them by myself, but here's another one based on the fee-bay photograph. It turned up today...

m7421h.jpg

My god the photo really was bad, anyway, it was only 12-13 quid in total. Can you identify?

Description said: "GB Hammered Coin

Possibly Edward 111 Florin coinage class 4

Obverse has jumped slightly in the die but clear reverse of York mint & un-cleaned

Weighing 1.3 grams & measuring 18mm"

..on 2x2 there is some writing, "Long Cross Penny..Edward I ? YORK.........Poss...EIII 'FLORIN' CLASS 4 - YORK...GRACE DIEU RALLY (90)"

Dei Gratia Coins by the looks of it, David Shelley, top bloke!

It is Edward III, the quatrefoil in the centre of the reverse helps us with that ID.

From what I can see it looks like Spink 1556, as it has the reversed N on the obverse, quatrefoil in centre of reverse and is York mint (Civi Tas Ebo Raci) Yet better photos will help me say for sure what it is.

Archived