CoinPeople.com

Grade of this rouble?

janneen

Can you give me an assesment of grade of this coin?

(From my own collection)

Nice one, janneen! :ninja: I would grade it a high-end XF or perhaps even AU. The rim disturbances are probably from the manufacturing process; I've seen this kind of rim on a lot of coins struck before 1850 or thereabouts.

Damn! That's a good looking coin! Haven't seen that many of this type struck so strong. Congrats :ninja:

Unless there is some old cleaning under that wonderful patina, I do not see why this coin would be anything but MS. Very nice example of pre 1840's coin. (IMXO)

Unless there is some old cleaning under that wonderful patina, I do not see why this coin would be anything but MS. Very nice example of pre 1840's coin. (IMXO)

I will try to be objective here. In my "old" mind this coin is not in mint state condition and the main reason for that is rim (I'm not talking about obvious results of the production process). The rim is very weak on the text side (see between 11 and 2). So, I'd grade it no more than AU53-55.

As usually yours,

I will try to be objective here. In my "old" mind this coin is not in mint state condition and the main reason for that is rim (I'm not talking about obvious results of the production process). The rim is very weak on the text side (see between 11 and 2). So, I'd grade it no more than AU53-55.

As usually yours,

I see your point, however, the details of the crown tend to indicate that that edge was possibly never too sharp. All in all, if graded in a traditional european way, this is at best, an XF. :ninja: Thank god, most of us do not live there :-) I personally have no doubt that NGC will grade it at least MS 61. (If there is no cleaning) If not the first trip there, then on the second with an argument. (whatever that is worth...) I have some early 19th century graded rubles, that are nowhere near this nice, and, are graded MS 61 and up. Then again, I have a 1735 Anna ruble which is much nicer, but has softness of strike, and it is graded AU55... (For those who are wondering, I do not grade my coins, -- sometimes it is graded when I buy it) Overall, a very nice coin that would not shame any collection. Congrats. ;)

Hello!

Can you give me an assesment of grade of this coin?

(From my own collection)

Thanks

J

Hello,

Condition XF, lightly cleaned. I’m not shoure, possible rim nick on 9 o’clock. Collectible coin with full details.

Rarenum.

MS is probably too high, considering the (albeit minimal) rub on most high points of the eagle design ... especially on St. George (IMXO).

It's a bit harsh to say it's XF. The only reason why I'll say it's AU is because usually the wear is evident on the crown and the crest in many cases. I would suspect cleaning as well as the patina is not consistent throughout the whole coin, i.e. you can see "highlights" from the raised design and text and the main field is relatively "clean". Honestly though, I wouldn't care much if you think you got it at a price that you like - it's even hard to find one that's in that condition, much less cleaned. Nice coin :ninja:

Archived