CoinPeople.com

Hm, a type set idea - copper plated cents around the world

gxseries

This is a type set idea that I have been thinking which I hope to spark some interesting discussion.

Copper has been traditionally used for cents, usually 90+% copper in form of bronze or brass.

Copper prices have been up through the roof over the last few years and high content copper are rarely used these days. And such, in order for the public not to get too lost over the color appearance, shown with the 1943 US cents, plating has been used to reduce the high metal cost. That said, I have been looking for world coins where copper plating is actively used in current circulation.

For instance, US has been using copper plated zinc since 1982, UK pence with copper plated steel since 1992, Malaysia since 1973, Singapore 1976, Euro cents, Philippine 5 sentimos and the list goes on. What other coins do you know that uses copper plating?

Why this type set? Copper plating is a relatively "new" idea in numismatics but widely used worldwide due to metal prices hence there should be plentiful of coins out there (with the exception of Finnish cents I believe).

Worth a try anyway. Due to the population increase and the same increase or more in coin collectors, different types of coin collecting is the latest fad. So why not start one more. The Dansco and Whitman type sets are becoming more and more popular due to the actual shortage of some coins to make a complete collection. Error coins are also on the increase in collecting for the same reason. Maybe your idea will catch on. Worth a try. :ninja:

Hm, looks like I don't have a German copper plated pfennig - thought I had them somewhere in my collection :ninja:

Topher, very interesting information! I never knew the Canadian mint was playing around with plated steel or plated zinc. Would there be any indication of why this is happening?

(yes I did forget about Canadian cents shamefully)

930467.jpg

Topher, very interesting information! I never knew the Canadian mint was playing around with plated steel or plated zinc. Would there be any indication of why this is happening?

(yes I did forget about Canadian cents shamefully)

Plated steel is cheaper than plated zinc, and it's Canada's way of showing the world that we have one of the most advanced mints in the world. The Winnipeg facility makes coins for a lot of countries other than our own. Ironically enough, there was a bill before parliament to eliminate the penny, but I don't think it was going anywhere, and with an election next month, it certainly isn't going anywhere now.

Not sure about Canada but I wonder how the vending machine people here would react if our coins became Steel. If Stainless Steel, maybe. Otherwise the magnetics in most machines would really be jamming up.

Hey what about more of our coins Copper Plated. Great example is the famous Copper Plated 1043 Steel cent.

Archived