CoinPeople.com

New Jackson Dollars

tommyd

Yesterday I picked up six rolls of Andy's from my bank and upon examining them I noticed that a dozen of them had very weak edge lettering -- the edges also lacked that usual luster; instead, they seem to have much of that vertical roughness prominent on the dateless GW's...probably not enough pressure applied -- the opposite of the 'gnarled' or rippled dollars. Has anyone else noticed this?

hrmpdu.jpg

I look forward to the next eight dollars -- how much enthusiasm can be generated by any of them?? Abe had better come fast!!

• 1 month later...

I think in the long run these "Godless" dollars could be worth less than an actual dollar coin in good condition. It's too easy fraudulently make a "Godless" dollar coin and for those few coins that do work their way through circulation overtime the edge of the coins will probably wear out anyway. Just my thought though.

Manipulation? Quite possible, yes.

Wear? Unless edge inscriptions are totally different from what we have around here (DE, NL ...), that won't happen.

Then again, $1 coins do not actually circulate anyway, so there won't be a way to find out. :ninja:

Christian

Yeah, I meant the few coins that actually do get used. :ninja:

One dollar coins (Sacagawea) are used heavily in Ecuador that underwent "dollarization" - replacement of the national currency with dollars. The reason why Sacagawea dollars are so popular there includes the fact that coins are much better fit for circulation in tropical conditions compared to paper notes. I expect that presidential dollars will also find their way there, eventually. In Ecuador, they do mint their own coins, but apprently not one dollar coins.

One dollar coins (Sacagawea) are used heavily in Ecuador that underwent "dollarization" - replacement of the national currency with dollars. The reason why Sacagawea dollars are so popular there includes the fact that coins are much better fit for circulation in tropical conditions compared to paper notes. I expect that presidential dollars will also find their way there, eventually. In Ecuador, they do mint their own coins, but apprently not one dollar coins.

I believe I read somewhere that many people in Ecuador believe that she is a different person, another historical figure. So I don't know if the people in Ecuador would take so kindly to US presidents.

I am not sure they would have a choice. They will use whatever coins their government will bring in for circulation. There is really no substitute for coin dollars there - these represent one of the most often used denominations and paper bills deteriorate very quickly. So, if one wants to see used presidential dollars - check them out in Ecuador in a few years.

Archived