CoinPeople.com

Certified but not graded?

janneen

Hello!

What do you think about this ebay-seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/Chemart-Incorporate...4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I'm not much familiar with certified goins but this seller claims that his coins are like

RUSSIA SILVER ROUBLE/RUBLE, 1907, NCS CERTIFIED, VF+!!!

The coin is slabbed all right but in the slab it says "GENUINE INPROPERLY CLEANED". So the the coin is slabbed but graded by seller himself? If this is the case I think it is at least wrong kind of marketing and the headline gives a wrong message to a buyer. With small text it says

Disclaimer: We do not make any representation about coin grading, it is used solely as a price guide. We have provided a high quality picture for you to judge the condition of this coin. The item in the picture is the one that your will rceive.

J

this seller spent much of the past few years overbidding on low grade and problem coins, hoarded them, and had them slabbed up. during the recent price craziness. They have been trying to unload these for some time now, and in my opinion, most if not all are overpriced problem coins.. (ie cleaned, mount removed, highly circulated)

Just my observation. Never dealt with this seller.

this seller spent much of the past few years overbidding on low grade and problem coins, hoarded them, and had them slabbed up. during the recent price craziness. They have been trying to unload these for some time now, and in my opinion, most if not all are overpriced problem coins.. (ie cleaned, mount removed, highly circulated)

Just my observation. Never dealt with this seller.

He bought a 1839 Borodino Memorial rouble (with a hole) from me two years ago. I think I sold it for $200 or so.

I wonder what would be the price of it now (the coin was otherwise XF if I remember correctly). For me a coin with a hole is worthless.

I would't take even a holed family rouble...

J

There's nothing wrong with damaged coin as long as it's priced accordingly. At least, it's much better than having a counterfeit.

These are a couple of damaged coin, while not impressive are amazingly difficult to find unless one is willing to pay big bucks.

917601.jpg

905446.jpg

Polupoltinnik and a poltina. I think I paid a dollar and 20 respectively. I'm still missing a 10 kopek from this series (other than the Albertus ruble and the polupoltinnik variety) and it is amazingly difficult to locate one at a reasonable price.

Archived