CoinPeople.com

Edinburgh Castle Museum Medal 1879

IMG_1649_edited.jpg

IMG_1650_edited.jpg

This completes my set of Middlebrook's tokens, all two of them!!! Bronze 28mm by T.Pinches of London.

Edinburgh Castle Museum.

T.G. Middlebrook kept the E.C. Museum near Regent's Park. Why it was called Edinburgh Museum when it was in London, England is a mystery to me.

Tickets and Passes of Great Britain and Ireland By William John Davis, Arthur W. Waters Reprint of the 1922 ed:

178. O. View of a building. EDINBURGH CASTLE IMPLEMENTS OF WAR

R: FREE MUSEUM WELL WORTH A VISIT T.G. MIDDLEBROOK. 1879 COINS MEDALS. MORNINGTON ROAD. REGENT'S PARK. (in small letters) T.Pinches London. M. 8.

177. O: A bugle with a crown above, crest, motto, etc of the XVII Lancers, all within an olive wreath. FREE MUSEUM. THE BUGLE THAT SOUNDED THE BALACLAVA CHARGE. In small letters T.P.

R: Union Jack, and branch of oak, above LARGEST EGG IN THE WORLD, upon a ribbon FREE MUSEUM. Legend: WITH THE SEASONS GREETINGS FROM T.G. MIDDLEBROOK. M. 10

950531.jpg

The contents of this museum were disposed of by auction by Messrs. Debenham, Store & Co., Jan., 1908

T.G.Middlebrook collected the extinct Great Auk (Plautus impennis) Eggs. Looking at the prices he paid (which was then considerable sums) I wonder how he made money from his free museum.

Today, around 75 eggs of the Great Auk remain in museum collections around the world.

Egg Plate #s from "Thomas Parkin's Catalogue of mounted skins and eggs of the Great Auk sold at public auction in Great Britain 1806-1910"

Egg XIV: The egg was purchased by Mr. T. G. Middlebrook, April 23, 1895, for 189 GBP. July 27, 1897,again sold to Mr. T. G. Middlebrook for 168 GBP.

Egg XVI: April 13, 1897 bought by Mr. T. G. Middlebrook for 294 GBP

Egg XVIII: July 19, 1899, by Mr. T. G. Middlebrook for 315 GBP (equivalent to approx 27,850 GBP in 2008 calculated using Historic Curency Calculator

You could travel from USA by Cunard Line to England from £7 in 1900.

A new redbrick house in the Dublin suburb of Fairview cost 280 GBP

Archived