CoinPeople.com

Medieval Coins

DJB

Medieval coins have been an interest to me (Especially in Eastern Europe). Here are some examples from my collection which I consider my choice pieces:

BohemiaPGroschen1278-1305.jpg

BOHEMIA (KINGDOM)~AR Groschen 1278-1305 AD

This Bohemian Groschen was issued under the reign of King Wenceslas II. The strike is better than average.

ArmeniaKingdomCoronationTram1198.jpg

ARMENIA (KINGDOM)~Coronation Tram c.1198 AD

This is a Coronation Tram from the Kingdom of Armenia dating from 1198 AD under the reign of King Levon I. It shows Levon being crowned by a saint with the light of heaven shining down.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are two more from the Balkan region:

ChiosAVZecchino1415-1436AD.jpg

CHIOS~AV Zecchino 1415-1436 AD

This is a Gold Zecchino coin from Chios under the rule of Doge/Duke: Filippo Maria Visconti. The coin resembles the Venetian Ducat.

SerbiaARDinar1243-1276AD.jpg

SERBIA (KINGDOM)~AR Dinar 1243-1276 AD

This is a silver Dinar from the Kingdom of Serbia under the reign of King Stefan Uros I. Coin similar to Venetian Grosso.

*UPDATE*- The coin intially listed as a Serbian Dinar under King: Stefan Uros II is actually, from checking current references, under his father Stefan Uros I. Since both coins look practically identical, Identifying these can be very difficult.

These last two are from the central Balkans:

SerbianEmpireARDinar1346-1355AD.jpg

SERBIAN EMPIRE~AR Dinar 1346-1355 AD

This is a silver Dinar from the Serbian Empire under the reign of Tsar: Stefan Uros IV (Dusan). His reign began in 1331 as king, then in 1346 he was proclaimed tsar or emperor. The coins obverse side shows Dusan with his wife Queen Elena.

BosniaKingdomARGrosh1420-1443AD.jpg

BOSNIA (KINGDOM)~AR Grosh 1421-1443 AD

This is a silver Grosh from the Kingdom of Bosnia under the reign of King Turtko II who reigned from 1402-1408 AD then 1421-1443 AD.

Just a few from France:

Charlemagne, 768 AD

909288.jpg

Louis the Pious, Paris, 819 AD

916280.jpg

Charles the Bald, Paris, 840 AD

916776.jpg

Beautiful examples, from both. When you consider what alot of these coins have been through over the centuries, it's amazing they have any detail at all. Thanks for sharing. :ninja:

• 3 months later...

This is my latest additions for medieval coins:

1) AR Dinar from Serbia under the reign of Knez/Prince: Stefan Lazaravic 1389-1402 AD.

SerbiaARDinar1389-1402AD.jpg

SERBIA (PRINCIPALITY)~AR Dinar (Ox Horn) 1389-1402

2) AR Dinar from the Banate of Bosnia under the reign of Ban: Stefan Kotromanic II 1322-1353 AD.

BosniaBanateARDinar1322-1353AD.jpg

BOSNIA (BANATE)~AR Dinar 1322-1353

My favorite theme, abstract royal portraits of Blois-Chartres-Chateaudun:

941558.jpg

Blois ca. 940-950

912670.jpg

Chartres ca. 970

950781.jpg

954882.jpg

Philip I Taranto, Greece & Ancona, Italy

More south than you are looking for but, what the heck! :ninja:

Not at all Geordie. These are very nice pieces. Crusader coins are very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing. ;) I have a couple of Greek coins from the crusade period.

1) AR Denier from the Duchy of Athens. Under Duke: Guy de la Roche II-1294-1308 AD. Kind of crusty looking, but an interesting Frankish coin.

Athens: AR Denier 1294-1308

2) AR Gigliato from Rhodes. Under Grandmaster: Philabert of Naillac~Knights of St. John- 1396-1421.

Rhodes:AR Gigliato 1396-1421

Loving this thread. :ninja:

I'm glad your enjoying the thread. As for Bill's submissions, this is a great and unique theme you have going. I bet Picasso would have loved these coins. The second specimen was especially interesting. I don't think you could get more abstract than this.

Bought this from Tony Fein a couple of years back for an article I wrote last month about medieval Champagne.

(Image removed 24Sept2010 - mem)

Wow, Bill, I've never seen a Charlemagne coin before. That is too cool! :ninja:

Terrific coins guys!

Am loving the coins gentlemen, is good to see Medieval coins from other countries as I stick with the English stuff. Keep up the good work! :ninja:

Wow, Bill, I've never seen a Charlemagne coin before. That is too cool! :ninja:

I've held much nicer examples, but they were beyond my budget. Nicer still was a denier of Charlemagne's father, Pippin. That too was beyonf my budget although now I wish I had stretched my pocket book. The price at the time was cheap in comparison to today.

But, what is in my range is the Charlemagne signature (although the coin, an obol of Melle -- 840 A.D., is actually that of his grandson, Charles the Bald):

916781.jpg

Note the faint V shape in the center. It forms an A inside the O, so it reads KARLOS (some also read the A as a V to spell KARLOUS).

The signature also appears on the last coins issued by Charlemagne and again on Charles the Bald's coins. The coins appear much the same (there are stylistic differences in the lettering and differences in mints to distinguish the two). Mine is definitely charles the Bald, but with a classic, well-formed signature (the Palace mint, 864):

917012.jpg:

Note here the V is reduced to a dot and on less refined dies, it disappears altogether as on this denier from St. Denis (870):

917065.jpg

In its most severe form it is virtually unreadable as on this Imperial denier from Bourges in 876:

917104.jpg

957539.jpg

Emperor Frederick III (1452 to 1493). Pfennig Circa 1462. W for Wien (Vienna), H for Hausgenossen, T for Teschler (Nicholas) Around the Vienna cross and shield. 14mm.

This site has the full story of this coin Austrian National Bank. and the Monetary Crisis: The “Schinderling Era”

957538.jpg

Matthaus von Lang Wellenburg (1519-1540). Statesman and Archbishop of Salzburg - 2 Pfennig 1537, uniface Zweier. silver 15mm He was the son of a burgher of Augsburg and afterwards assumed the name of Wellenburg from a castle that came into his possession. After studying at Ingolstadt, Vienna and Tübingen he entered the service of the emperor Frederick III and quickly made his way to the front. He was also one of the most trusted advisers of Frederick's son and successor Maximilian I, and his services were rewarded in 1500 with the provostship of the cathedral at Augsburg and in the following year with the bishopric of Gurk. In 1511 he was made a cardinal by Pope Julius II, and in 1514 he became coadjutor to the archbishop of Salzburg, whom he succeeded in 1519. He also received the bishopric of Cartagena in Murcia in 1521, and was made Cardinal Bishop of Albano in 1535.

Lang's adherence to the older faith, together with his pride and arrogance, made him very unpopular in his diocese of Salzburg; in 1523 he was involved in a serious struggle with his subjects, and in 1525, during the Peasants' War, he had again to fight hard to hold his own. He was one of the chief ministers of Charles V; he played an important part in the tangled international negotiations of his time; and he was always loyal to his imperial masters. Not without reason did pope Leo X compare him to Cardinal Wolsey.

The writer and courtier Maximilianus Transylvanus, a secretary to Charles V, is often said to be a son of Lang's (see Maximilianus Transylvanus for this discussion). In any case, Transylvanus addressed his De Moluccis Insulis, the first published description of Magellan's voyage around the world, to Lang.

• 2 months later...

Here are two more medieval coins from my collection that I picked up recently. The first is a Coronation Dinar from the Serbian Empire. It shows Stefan Uros IV~Dusan being crowned Tsar of Serbia dating from 1346 AD. This coin marked Serbia's rise to imperial status. The second is a wire Denga from the Republic of Novgorod. The exact date and ruler is unknown but it's supposed to be from before 1456 AD. It's exceptionally well struck, both in detail and centering for this type.

SerbianEmpireARDinarCoronationc1346.jpg

SERBIAN EMPIRE~AR Dinar (Coronation) c. 1346 AD:

RussiaNovgorodARDenga1447-1448AD.jpg

RUSSIA (NOVGOROD)~AR Denga 1447-1478 AD:

* UPDATE-The silver Denga coin was narrowed down to being circulated between 1447-1478 AD by a collector on Omnicoin. Ruler yet unknown.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting coin 'bruce' :ninja: . Medieval coins can indeed be troublesome to identify without certain reference material, and even then, it can still be difficult. Your specimen looks like it has some corrosion, so I'm sure that added to the challenge of trying to ID it. To be honest, I thought the wavy pattern on the obverse was the rulers intial, rather than an abstract angel or eagle (per the description in 'bill's' link). In either case, thanks for sharing this with us.

I just aquired a couple new items myself. The first is a silver Dinar from the Kingdom of Serbia dating from 1276-1282 AD. This was during the reign of King: Stefan Dragutin. As with most early Serbian coins, they look almost identical to coins from Venice and/or the Byzantine Empire. The second is a silver Denar from Bohemia dating from 1061-1092 AD. This was under the reign of Vratislav II. He reigned as a Duke from 1061-1086, then as a King from 1086-1092. I still haven't yet figured what part of his reign this coin was issued under.

SerbiaARDinar1276-1282AD.jpg

SERBIA (KINGDOM)~AR Dinar 1276-1282 AD

BohemiaARDinar1061-1086AD.jpg

BOHEMIA (DUCHY)~AR Denar 1061-1086 AD

Archived