CoinPeople.com

Quick postal quezzie

NumisMattic2200

A strange person over on eBay just asked me if it was possible to send his item 'without a value on the outside of the package' as if this is some kind of a blunder. Needless to say I am sending it with the value on the package!.... I assume it means if his item goes astray it would not be possible to clain any compensation, so a no-brainer really. Whaddya think?

Matt

Yes, and I once had a buyer say something about not wanting to pay taxes on the declared value. But most probably they want to avoid someone snatching something if it's declared pricey on the outside of the package.

BTW, and this isn't news to most sellers probably, no customs form on international packages is required under a certain weight (I think a pound) to Europe from the US. I shopped different post offices until I found one that actually followed this rule consistently. Many post office workers automatically give you the form to fill out, even though the printout on the monitor as they punch in the weight and destination says "Non dutiable -- No customs form required." Can anyone explain why there is this inconsistency in application of the rule?

As the last two posters noted, it depends on where the buyer is from.

In some cases, especially with Italy, Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa in general, advertising the contents and value is basically inviting theft by a postal worker who makes less per month than the value of some of the packages s/he handles.

On the other end, some western countries have VATs which could end up as an unexpected additional cost. And sometimes there are other charges and duties/taxes as well.

As the last two posters noted, it depends on where the buyer is from.

In some cases, especially with Italy, Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa in general, advertising the contents and value is basically inviting theft by a postal worker who makes less per month than the value of some of the packages s/he handles.

On the other end, some western countries have VATs which could end up as an unexpected additional cost. And sometimes there are other charges and duties/taxes as well.

Maybe, but isn't the case of Romania. In five or six years of trading I lost only two packages, both uninsured and without declared value. I talk about 2-300 of enveloppes, small packs, until 10 kg. One was from Germany ( I suspect the ebay seller to be the thief - because it was about a rare coin, with few bids - thanks to the soccer worls championship, and one from USA - in which case the seller is guaranteed serious (high value member of our forum). Today I've received a 2 grams coin from US, with declared value and "hobby supply" and I was invited to customs bureau to sign for the reception.

Theft from postal system means 5-15 years in jail here - very few problems were reported.

I agree with you Matt send it with the value marked on it.

And here's me thinking it was probably something you should have to do, hence play by the rules..

I am having trouble with the descriptions, too... I mean for silver coins where I can't just write 'old copper' and have previously written 'numismatic collectables' in order to throw off a thick robber -maybe I should try writing 'hobby supplies' hehe as I saw somewhere else here..

There is a good reason why some people don't want values written on the declaration form. As mentioned, some countries do tax if it is over a certain amount and in some nasty countries, thieves work within the post office or go around people's boxes and search for mails. Not a pleasant experience.

I guess it depends on what country you are sending it to as well as warning the potential buyer of what are the possible consequences such as unable to insure / track and that you are not going to be held reliable. Best payment method for this is NOT paypal. If you don't want to go through the hassle, you can possibly ask the buyer to explain what his objective is and if he refuses to answer why, you don't have to bother selling it to him.

Matt bonjour

Au sujet de la valeur je pense que tout depend du pays ou l'on se trouve .Exemple pour moi qui habite l'ile de la Reunion (departement Français) si j'achete des pieces pour un montant d'environ 20 euros en France ou a l'etranger c'est la meme chose , je suis taxé sur la valeur des monnaies plus la valeur du transport et par contre si c'est un echange j'ai droit a une valeur de 166 euros sans taxes . Pour l'indemnisation si un courrier en recommandé se perd peu importe la valeur 1 ou 100 euros c'est la meme chose il y a une indemnitée forfaitaire de 45 euros .

Excuses moi d'ecrire en français mais c'est plus simple pour expliquer

Best regards Gerard

Appears many out there do NOT live in a high crime area. In many areas where crime is rampant, no one wants to advertise anything of monitary importance anywhere. For example many people around me don't even want coin, gun, knife, etc magazines delivered to thier homes. If they don't fit in the mail box, they may end up sticking out as an advertisement of what is in that house, apartment or condo. Packages delivered by UPS or other such delivery services may well be left on the front porch or wedged in a doorway. These also are very noticable to those that want such information for a later home invasion. Then too, not all mail people are the most honest people in the world ether. They could and some do keep a list of who has what.

To sum it up if you insisted on placing anything on a package that would indicate me as a coin collector, I would not do buisness with you. Sorry, but just not good cents in my area.

Matt bonjour

Au sujet de la valeur je pense que tout depend du pays ou l'on se trouve .Exemple pour moi qui habite l'ile de la Reunion (departement Français) si j'achete des pieces pour un montant d'environ 20 euros en France ou a l'etranger c'est la meme chose , je suis taxé sur la valeur des monnaies plus la valeur du transport et par contre si c'est un echange j'ai droit a une valeur de 166 euros sans taxes . Pour l'indemnisation si un courrier en recommandé se perd peu importe la valeur 1 ou 100 euros c'est la meme chose il y a une indemnitée forfaitaire de 45 euros .

Excuses moi d'ecrire en français mais c'est plus simple pour expliquer

Best regards Gerard

Gerard Salut,

Excuse me for writing in English!

I think I understand you more of less, apart from the part at the end which got too thick and deep into the legalities of the Reunion postal laws. I will bear it in mind from now on that people in other countries can be taxed on the value of the goods but I have a major problem; what if it comes down to a claim for compensation? There would be little evidence as to the amount due back and when my 'opponent', as that is now the correct term, uses Paypal to reverse a transaction which has already been completed, I could be left up the creek sans paddle!

In any case, how do I know what the laws of every country are on post and taxation??

Archived