CoinPeople.com

Russian coin shows

tomsanchez

I am in Moscow in September and was hoping there would be some events. I notice there was one called 'Archaica' in 2007 but I cannot find if the show is on this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

You should be aware of Russian export laws which forbid the export out of Russia of any coins minted before 1945 (not sure if that is the correct year).

There was a news article about a woman who was arrested after she bought some coins or medals in a flea market and attempted to leave the country with them ... it was posted here on the forum, but I can't seem to find the link ... (anybody else know where to look? :ninja: )

You should be aware of Russian export laws which forbid the export out of Russia of any coins minted before 1945 (not sure if that is the correct year).

There was a news article about a woman who was arrested after she bought some coins or medals in a flea market and attempted to leave the country with them ... it was posted here on the forum, but I can't seem to find the link ... (anybody else know where to look? :ninja: )

Thanks for the reply. I am only interested in modern commemorative coins for now but thank you for the advice!

I am new to this forum. Are there any resident Russia experts? Am having no luck regarding finding shows

I am in Moscow in September and was hoping there would be some events. I notice there was one called 'Archaica' in 2007 but I cannot find if the show is on this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Welcome to Coinpeople and have a great trip to Russia.

Thanks for the reply. I am only interested in modern commemorative coins for now but thank you for the advice!

I am new to this forum. Are there any resident Russia experts? Am having no luck regarding finding shows

Welcome to CoinPeople, Tom! ;) Forgot to say this in my first message... :ninja:

Over in the Russian section, there are a number of Russian members who might live in other countries, but frequently travel back and forth to "Matyushka Rossiya" ;) and are familiar with things like important coin auctions and shows over there. There are also forum members living in Russia, Ukraine, etc. Don't know how frequently they come here, though, since there are a number of Russian-language numismatic forums in which they may feel more comfortable discussing things in their native language.

As to "Russian experts", we are very lucky to have several internationally recognized experts drop in from time to time. If you have any specialized Russian reference works, or are a member of the Russian Numismatic Society, I'm sure you will recognize them by name. Since you also posted in that forum, maybe someone will see it?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Make sure you check out the export of coins laws there. At a flea market near me there is a guy that sells Russian Coins all the time. They are of all different dates and he admits that many are not supposed to be here in the USA. Of course I guess he isn't afraid of the Russian Police arrested him here. Not sure if the extradition laws would apply to coins illigally taken or shipped out of the country. From what he says many countries have such laws and are inforced only there so once past thier inspections, no one does anything about it. Or so he says. I wonder if there still is a KGB and if they would take you in the middle of the night, ship you back to Russia for stealing coins. :ninja:

Archived